The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wt bash
  • 1 Post By petee
  • 1 Post By pescador7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default Loose bamboo tip

So a while back I posted I got a Montague clipper and was asking what line weight to use. Thank you very much u guys helped me pick the right line weight to use. Now after some hours of use the tip of the rod has gotten loose. I was thinking of gluing it but don't know what glue to use, I don't want to mess up the bamboo and need help in picking a glue. Or should I just look for an experienced rod builder who knows about bamboo to fix it. I rather try not to spend much money on fixing it as I only paid $45 for it.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Loose bamboo tip

Ferrule Cement 4" Stick | mudhole.com

That'll do it.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Regular old glue stick. Preferrably a high temperature stick. Melt a bit add it in the tip top and stick it on the tip. Peel the excess off with your fingernail and you are good to go.

Many of us custom builders use the glue stick. Easy to install and easy to remove if you align it wrong.

If you want, you can send it to me and I'll repair it for the cost of shipping. It's a 5 minute job

Pete
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like Pete said .... regular hot glue
If you want somebody else to do it, just take it to any good tackle shop and they'll fix it for 5 bucks... or maybe even free

Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the responses I will use a hot glue gun to glue it back. I thought I will have to use some pretty expensive glue. Brought a big weight off my back now.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I didn't look to see what brand it is, but don't get the Fuji. Fuji sucks. Flex Coat makes a stick that is much better.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Dan how does it handle the cold? I've had tips pop off due to cold temps with hot glue stick glue but I'm sure it was just cheap stuff, I like the stuff JD Wagner sells I forget the actual brand but its just refereed to as ferrule cement, but it heats up nice and stays flexible when dry, it also has a tacky feel to it when its in its solid form. I don't think its the same as offered by mudhole but its pretty good stuff.

Scratch that, its definitely not the same as the Mudhole stuff.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

You can still buy Bohning Ferr-L-Tite which is a natural resin-based cement. It is sold among the fletchers' supplies now. See Bohning Ferr-L-Tite

http://overmywaders.com