The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM

qec is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6 wt for bass poppers?

I was simply answering his question. If you find your setup work well with big flies and short casts then by all means use that setup. It has been my experience that when bass fishing out of MY float tube with MY equipment that I almost never make really long casts and in those situations having a heavy line that loads the rod quicker throws better for me. I normally throw a leader of 7 or 8' of straight 20lb mono.
I use to be a slave to matching the line weight to the recommended rod weight but I don't bother much any more. I usually let the casting distance, fly and conditions decide if the line will be as listed, +1 or +2. Same thing with the two handed rod setups.
Regarding the rod length, I have no doubt that the longer rod will fight the fish better since I spend a fair amount of time fishing switch and spey rods. But just like it is easier (when fishing solo) for me to land (not fight) with a 12' rod instead of a 14' rod, I find it easier for me to get the fish into my lap with an 8ft rod in the float tube. Again, for bass fishing I don't need long casts so the extra length is not helpful.
On the other hand I could be completely wrong! :-) I am always learning something new with this sport.

Quinn
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I'm with Qec on over-lining your 6wt rod if you find it won't cast your bug well with a 6 wt line. I often over-line my rods an it usually (but not always) works fine. If you don't expect to make really long casts, I think over-lining is your best solution.

Tom
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

I'm curious...have you tried throwing any of the blockheads poppers? They cast well with even my 5wt!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough

I can cast 1/0 gurgler style flies (great for bass) on a 6 wt with ease, but have troubles casting cupped face poppers and dear hair divers.
I normally step up to the 8 wt for them.

A shorter head line definitely helps and I also like a 7-8' 20lb level leader, no need for finesse presentations for the bass I chase.

As I was told by a fellow on this forum, buy a cheep "general" line and trim off the level tip section. This gives a bit more weight up front to turn them over.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info. on this subject. I think I will end up trying #6 poppers with the SA bass line. I haven't fished this rod at all yet, I'm in NJ and it's not exactly bass time yet. I figured while it's winter I would at least get the tackle I need for bass.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Along the same idea of overlining, try out the Wulff Ambush line in a six weight. It works great for turning over big flies with both the overhead and roll or spey type casts with your singlehand rod. These lines have short (19') heavy heads that allow you fish in close as well as making long casts like a shooting head. Where finesse is not required these lines are great. You can even add fairly heavy sinktips to fish subsurface and again use spey type casts to get them easily and quickly out 50 ft or so. I have the full lines but am not particularly fond of their running line, so you can buy these as heads only and use your own running line or mono and save $30.00 over the full length lines. Hope this helps.