The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt for bass poppers?

I have a 6 wt Winston GVX that I would like to use for smallmouth. Do you think that would be able to throw a #4 popper like a ez popper? Would you suggest a particular line? Thanks again folks!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: 6 wt for bass poppers?

Your can throw it, but a 7-weight would work better. I sometimes use a 6-weight for bass fishing, but then I use smaller flies.

Randy
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I throw poppers all the time with a 6wt around that size and never really had any problems with it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I know a lot of guys who swear the Sage XP 6 wt is the best Smallie rod ever made, I personally can't stand the action of that rod, but a personal preference thing.

Your GVX should do fine.

As far as a fly line for that rod and smallie flies, SA Textured Magnum Taper, hands down.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

For little size 10 and 12 poppers a 6 weight is okay. For bigger deer-hair jobs in sizes 2 to 6 I prefer an 8 weight, though. You don't need the stronger rod to fight the fish, but you do need the heftier line to lob those big air-resistant things out where you want them to go.

If you've already got the 6 weight rod, the best way to find out if you need something else is to put it through its paces and see what you can get it to do.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post

If you've already got the 6 weight rod, the best way to find out if you need something else is to put it through its paces and see what you can get it to do.
Best way to find out for sure!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

qec is on a distinguished road

Over line it with a 7wt or 8wt line and you are good to go. I do it all the time. I fish out of a float tube so I never need to make casts longer then about 40'. I use a 8' 6wt preferring the shorter rod when trying to land the fish.

Quinn
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's kind of the opposite of how I do things.

I'm not a big fan of generically saying overline anything. Some rods have a higher ERN than what they rate a rod at so it would be fine, but not all of them are. I have never overlined by two in my life.

I have not had trouble landing fish in a float tube with a 9' rod either. In fact I'm building a 10' 7wt. for my float tube because I am setting down in the water and it will give me a better distance. Plus it will make it easier to turn fish out of bad spots.

I keep hearing this stuff about landing fish is harder with a longer rod. This is not true. It might sound like it, but unless you reel the fish in right to the tip, which I strongly suggest you don't, it's not. This comes up actually quite often. In fact it did just the other day. I posted a video of me hand landing a big Northern Pike on a 15' rod. We had a guy on here say the following "A long handled net is manditory. Or, have a friend nearby to help. (They say, only the Brits would invent a style that takes two people to land a fish.)" We just had a person say that it Can be more difficult for beginners, and he is right, but the guy who I quoted was a $350/day guide. He said it all over the place and it drove me nuts. I'm also pretty sure he flunked geometry.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I agree with Diver Dan here -- I've never understood people saying that a shorter rod is somehow better for fighting and controlling a fish.

In general, longer rods cast further, protect line better, and provides more leverage for controlling a fish. I'm pretty sure physics would confirm this.

A shorter rod might offer better control of a fish in the situation where a long rod would bang into overhanging objects I guess....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I got a slightly longer handled net,,but not because a long rod wont get the fish where ya want it,,but my back is stiffer now-days. Still,,it's not a 'very' long net handle. I actually think you can guide and finesse a fish better to landing WITH a longer rod.