7wt grips

oarfish

Reaction score
Yes you can have a custom rod build with you requirments from hundreds of builders across the U.S. or take the plunge and build one yourself. Whats wrong with a full wells grip?

Rick

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
To me,,and I'm only speaking for myself, they do not feel 'right.' Plus, I think they are ugly and do not add any grace to a fly rod.

Maybe I'm just too 'eastern.'

oarfish

Reaction score
To me,,and I'm only speaking for myself, they do not feel 'right.' Plus, I think they are ugly and do not add any grace to a fly rod.

Maybe I'm just too 'eastern.'
Just speaking for my self, the grace is in your cast, would the 7 be your first heaver fly rod?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
a 7wt with a half wells grip
Id want at LEAST a 9 ft and prefer a 10ft..this would be for the times I'd toss big Muskie flys. I might outta consider an 8wt more ?
At least an 8 wt. and a 10 wt. is what I use most of the time for it. You are goping to be hard pressed to find a rod that size with a half wells grip. You would either have to build it yourself or have it done for you. There is nothing wrong with it. If that's what you like, that's the point of custom.

Where you will find the 10 wt better is if you get wind. Contrary to what a lot of people think, you don't need the bigger rod to fight a big fish fast. That's easily done on a smaller rod and a heavier leader. It's for casting big flies far in a wind.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Ya know, you might be right. These Muskie in New River can be State Record size,,matter of fact,,I think that is were most Virginia State Record Muskie keep coming from. I've caught three in years past...all three on bait casting equipment. Sacrilege I know. Nephew has caught 3 that were 50" or plus,,and several 45" plus. And a LOT 40" plus. But he's not a fly fisherman at all.

After coming back into fly fishing for trout after several years of not casting a fly rod,,,I've got the bug to expand my fishing time with the fly rod over into 'big game' ventures. SO yea, a 9wt for them big New River Muskies might indeed be very wise. No law against having a very specific rod for a very specific reason, is there ?

At my age now,,it's not about how much I catch, it's more about how I fish. The quantity blood has definitely cooled as I've grown some older and now the blood demands 'quality' methods. I think I'm a fly rod guy from here on out. Always really loved them better anyways.

OK,,all that sermon aside,,does the full wells REALLY give you better leverage for your grip,,esp your thumb ?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
OK,,all that sermon aside,,does the full wells REALLY give you better leverage for your grip,,esp your thumb ?
I don't really put my thumb on top anyway, so it does not help me. I built a 9 wt one time for myself that has a half wells grip. I did it because I liked the smaller grip. I grew up in the Mountains of Colorado and was used to that style grip. I use a lot of big rods and got used to them, but personally I don't see a problem with it if that's what you want.

Come to think of it, when you fight a fish you put the force with your fingers on the bottom of the grip so it isn't really needed there either. I can't see a real reason you would be required to have a full wells grip.

oarfish

Reaction score

For me and my old hands a full wells works the best, I turn my own cork and like them a little larger than the grips you get in a production rod and I'll add I do own production rods the lightest a 5wt which has a half wells and it works fine for me also but I'm a full handled person, if you would like to pm me I can hook you up with a affordable well known custom builder that can fill you needs with what you want to fish for and give you a beautiful rod.

Rick

qec

Reaction score
I really like the look of the half wells as well but I prefer the full wells when casting lots of line. I end up putting fulls on all of my rods down to 6wt. One of the advantages of building your own is building the using handles the way you want rather than what is "traditional". You can make slimmer profile full wells or thicker halfs to suite you hands and sense of balance.

Quinn