The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kap10
  • 1 Post By kwb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 AM
deathwish

Default 1st rod combo help

started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.

Last edited by deathwish; 01-29-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: change
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st rod combo help

Take a look at this one.

Voyant Fly Fishing Outfits | Redington Fly Fishing
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I've got the Clearwater and love it. You may be able to get a separate rod/reel and get a better setup for the same money.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

kap10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
started fly fishing last summer using a cheap rod and reel and once I landed my 1st atlantic salmon I was hooked.I am limited on funds so looking to buy a fly rod kit.There is one called clearwater by orvis,1 by sage- vantage and a few lefty kre ones.These would be for salmon fishing and some bass too.Can you help me know what would be best.My max $$ is 500.00 canadian.I am not parcial to any company due to the fact I know nothing about this addictive sport.

I would look into a company called Allen fly fishing. I have a bunch of their stuff. Its really good for the price. You can search the forums here and you will find nothing but good things. They ship to Canada. Look at a Xa 8wt 9'
and a Alpha 2 #3 reel, Awesome combo for about $350. I have 6 Allen reels and 3 rods and like them all. They are all I fish anymore.
You can go on the site and email or live chat Justin or Evan for any info you may need.
fredaevans and stuie675 like this.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Allen. I've yet to see a negative comment about any of their equipment. There was a 'one off' several weeks back but the reel was immediately replaced.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Another vote for Allen flyfishing gear. I use both the Trout and Alpha reels when I travel, have a 4 wt rod for "guests". Fantastic customer service.

Interestingly, while in a fly shop in the Seattle area with a friend looking at new reels, the shop guy says to him, "If I were you, I'd look at the Allen reels". He missed a sale, but Allen didn't.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I just got my girlfriend her first fly rod, reel, line for Valentines Day...

I had to take it out and cast it before wrapping it up to give to her next week.

I was very impressed with the Clearwater 8'6" 4wt and Clearwater Reel and Line, for the money I think your gonna be hard pressed to beat it.
baseman1 likes this.