The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: Rod weights and Common Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It would be interesting to try a whole bunch of rods that are supposedly identical.
I've done that.
I tested 6 really cheap rods ($20 each).
The ERNs ranged from 4.2 to 4.6 across the lot. They're marked '5 wt'.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks. In fact I'm kind of amazed they were only off that far.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This thread has me thinking, has anyone recorded CCS data on a rod from years gone by and then retested it after being used for a long while to determine any changes that took place in the rod over time and usage?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I know of, but I have thought about that. I know a lot of guys leave rods in cars. In the summer you can bake the snot out of stuff in a hot car. Heat can change the properties of the blank. I'm not sure if a car gets hot enough to do it, but I don't want to find out the hard way. It would be a great expreriment on a rod you don't care about.

I have also thought about if because of just straining a rod repeatedly over time. I have a spinning rod that I caught a ton of really big Sturgeon on. I have had that thing bent like a U for so many hours it's rediculous. I have wondered if it effects the graphite over time to repeatedly stress them like that.

I can see where a person could come up with more than one interesting experiment.
plecain likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-06-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: accidentally invented a new word.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I have some real world experience with heat and carbon composites.

I've had a new race car wing get totally destroyed from just a couple minutes idling too near an exhaust pipe. At speed, there's plenty of airflow to keep things cool, but at speed=zero it failed.

Some of the new carbon layups are cured at only 140 deg. F. I don't know, though, what temp it takes to uncure them.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Banned

It would be an interesting experiment to try. Bend a rod over the top of a car seat and then set it in the sun on a really hot day in someplace like Arizona where it gets hotter that Hades in the first place. Then go out and take it out after the car cooled at night and see if it puts a bend in it. Try the ERN test before and after.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
It would be an interesting experiment to try. Bend a rod over the top of a car seat and then set it in the sun on a really hot day in someplace like Arizona where it gets hotter that Hades in the first place. Then go out and take it out after the car cooled at night and see if it puts a bend in it. Try the ERN test before and after.
I'm more interested in seeing if some rods soften with use. Perhaps from bonds breaking between the fiber and resin or from fibers themselves breaking.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I think I might do that when it gets warmer around here.
I have one of those $20 rods where I broke (my fault) about 2" off the tip.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I could see this happen. I have played alot of softball over the last xx number of years and have broken more bats when it was cold as the fibers broke down more and became brittle. When it was hotter out I would get more "pop" or flex out of the barrels. I think it being warmer out will help protect rods flexibility.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

One thing to keep in mind, if you test your rods, also find the grain wt of your lines, as I found that advertised line rantings are just as likely to vary as the numbers that are placed on blanks.

I've found that when both are tested, the results using these tests often coincide to what my preferences would forecast.