The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM

logic1 is on a distinguished road
Default Indicator rods

My trout fishing is limited to one 3 week trip to Montana in late September/October. Typically Beaverhead, Misssouri, Madison in the park and some smaller water. At that time of year nymph fishing is the best option about 2/3 of the time. It would seem to make sense to have a fly rod designed for indicator nymph fishing. Does anyone have any experience with these rods?
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indicator rods

The Sage 99 is a nymph rod and Kelly Galloup has a nymph rod out called the St Croix High Stick Drifter. Personally, I like my Sage z-axis in a 10 ft 4 wt or my Sage One in a 10 ft 5 wt for nymphing.
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess manufacturers who have made such rods could make a case for them, but I have used my Sage RPL 9ft 5wt, and my current favorite the St. Croix Imperial 9ft 5wt. There is a good argument for longer rods for nymphing, but I seem to do just fine and catch a lot of fish in the process.

We, as fly fishers, could gear ourselves to death thinking we need the newest and the latest for the type of fishing we do. I guess I'm a minimalist when it comes to the rods that I use regularly.

Kelly.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 10 ft 5 wt GLoomis GLX (original classic model) for the Madison River and a 9 ft 4 wt for spring creeks in Montana.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM

bryank is on a distinguished road

"The Fly Shop" has their own Indicator rod. It is built for "high sticking" nymph fishing on the Sacramento and Pit rivers. You may want to take a look.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
The Sage 99 is a nymph rod and Kelly Galloup has a nymph rod out called the St Croix High Stick Drifter. Personally, I like my Sage z-axis in a 10 ft 4 wt or my Sage One in a 10 ft 5 wt for nymphing.
St Croixs HSD is a pretty specialized rod in that it's built for high sticking... if you're casting nymphs far upstream and letting them drift.. probably not the best option... Personally my 7'6" 4wt Imperial can cast a double nymph rig under a thingamabobber with no issues.... I'd imagine the 9' 4wt would function just as well... and give the option of high sticking with the longer rod if need be...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM

logic1 is on a distinguished road

bryank,

The Fly Shop indicator rod started me thinking about this type of rod. I don't think I want to invest $700 in specialty rod even though most of the fishing I do is nymphing. What interests me is easier mending which the length alone should help with. Also, casting indicators, weight and a couple of nymphs is much different than traditional casting. Winter is a good time to think about such alternatives.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Basically, any 9' 6" to 10' 6" rod could be considered an "indicator" rod. The extra length is helpful for high-stick nymphing and line mending. Not so helpful for keeping casts out of overhanging branches, though, so keep in mind where and how you would be likely to use it.

If you already have a 9 footer and can think of situations where the extra length would be more useful, sure, get a longer one. But you can still do a lot of nymphing and mending with a 9 footer in most situations.

I got a 10' 5 weight TFO Pro myself, a couple of years ago for under $100 when they closed out the original model and brought out the Pro II series. I rarely use it, since I already have several 9' rods that can do the job well enough most of the time. I probably wouldn't have wanted to pay a lot more than that just for the extra versatility, but at that price it's nice to have a longer rod available just in case.

That's my experience, anyway. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Try a Sage 99 if you get a chance. Truly astonishing how easy it is to mend and flip multi-fly indicator rigs around with these rods. It is the perfect tool for this type of fishing.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM

nO NECK is on a distinguished road

TFO BVK 10ft 5wt $240 Sweet.