The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 02:26 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about
Default Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 - opinion

Hello
What do you think about Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 Fly Rod? I got proposal to change for this rod but I do not know it at all. I heard that Superfine series is OK, but what do you think especially about this model? I wanted 7'6" rod for small streams for dry fly. Will it be OK? Isn't too slow?
BR
Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 - opinion

Do you mean the new Superfine or the old one.

I have the old one and I think it's a great small stream rod, and great for roll casting; though when I hook a big trout I find I'm in for a big fight, and I'm concerned about tiring out, and hurting the fish.

I've heard the new Superfines are somewhat stiffer than the old ones.

Randy
Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 - opinion

Personally I have never fished the 763-4. I used to own a 761-4 and fished it all over the place. Personally I really liked the rod from a casting standpoint. It was a bit softer than my TXL 000710-3 which I liked.

Then I tried an older Sage rod and fell in love with it. As a consequence my Trout Bum 1wt stayed at home. The only reason I sold it was to pay for more of the discontinued Sage rod since it stayed at home anyways (I have 5 of those rods now).
Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default I have the new series Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 - opinion

For me, it is a great rod. I have caught pan fish, smaller (~2 lb) large mouth bass and small to medium trout with it. I also have the older series, which is slower and has less back bone. I caught a 23" brown on the Green River with old one - do not underestimate these rods. You can put maximum pressure on the fish during a fight, because they protect tippet so well. I brought that brown in on 5X tippet in a current, and he swam away as though nothing had happened after release.

The new series casts better (farther and can handle heavy nymphs better), and the new series is beautiful - olive blanks. They balance perfectly with the Orvis BK Barstock reels.

The closest thing that I have fished to the new Superfine series is Winston's Boron LT family. The Winston is another great rod, but it is more expensive.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 763-4 v. Echo2 378fw-4x

I've been thinking of picking up a good light short(er) rod that would work well in laying down delicate dries and protecting light (#6-8) tippet to spooky small-stream trout, able to work around the heavy stream-side brush that frequents those locations.

One I've been thinking of for some time is the Echo2 7'8" # 3, a major appeal being the two different tips the rod comes with - a fast action "A" tip and a medium fast "D" tip.

The second rod is the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7'6" # 3 with a "Full Flex 2.5" action.

While the Orvis is normally more than twice as expensive as the Echo2, the Orvis currently is on sale at $100 off and in addition I have another $100 in various Orvis gift certificates, which still leaves the Orvis more expensive but tolerable at only a $100 more, net.

I'd appreciate any comparative advice on these rods and any others I should consider for these circumstances.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 08-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.