The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

Pacific Bay - IM7 - 9 - 8 Wt. - 4 Pc- Travel Rod Kit-Hook & Hackle
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Asian or not is not something that I am worried about. As long as it is a quality rod. Thats also why I am interested in looking used. If a used Sage Xi2 is better than a new BVK and available for only a couple dollars more, I would not mind finding a good used Xi2.

Tell me about these Batson rods. I have never heard of them
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Two $300 rods I would add to the growing list here are both Korean-built but to very good quality standards are Tim Rajeff's ECHO3 and Rise Fly Fishing's Level Series. I have fished the ECHO3 in 9-weight and the Rise in #7 and found both to posses more character than our BVK #8. As stated above, good cork is not too much to ask for and ECHO3 uses very good, high density cork.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Which Sage 5-weight did you feel compelled to overline and by how much?
billyspey and kwb like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Which Sage 5-weight did you feel compelled to overline and by how much?
Sage Flight. I put Rio Grand line on it to slow it down for my cast. I could not throw regular WF5 at all with that rod. I put the Grand on there and it really woke the rod up. It gives more feedback and feel now. I felt like I had to constantly power through every cast just to feel a little flex.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Asian or not is not something that I am worried about. As long as it is a quality rod. Thats also why I am interested in looking used. If a used Sage Xi2 is better than a new BVK and available for only a couple dollars more, I would not mind finding a good used Xi2.

Tell me about these Batson rods. I have never heard of them
Here is a link to their fly rod blanks

Batson Enterprises - Fly Blanks

They don't sell built rods, only blanks and components. I have the 9wt RX8 and am waiting on an RX7 2wt to finish being built.

One thing I like about them is you can call up and talk directly to one of the batsons. The rods are nice, strong and affordable.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Sage Flight. I put Rio Grand line on it to slow it down for my cast. I could not throw regular WF5 at all with that rod. I put the Grand on there and it really woke the rod up. It gives more feedback and feel now. I felt like I had to constantly power through every cast just to feel a little flex.
I have the GPX on a 5wt TCX and its already an upline weighted line. Casting a regular 5wt on it wouldnt make the rod work. With the heavier line it really casts like a dream.

I have a Sage Vantage 8wt and Im very quiet pleased with the rod. I also have a Flight in 10wt and they cast darn near the same to me. The Flight seems to feel alittle more powerful but thats the biggest difference to me.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

TFO TICRx , but that is going to be heavier than what you are looking for, so go with a BVK. Both are 225-260 but you need to buy your own tube/case

OR the St Croix Imperial is going to do want you want, and it is right around 200 and made in the USA. great warranty and customer service from both stcroix and tfo
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
TFO TICRx , but that is going to be heavier than what you are looking for, so go with a BVK. Both are 225-260 but you need to buy your own tube/case

OR the St Croix Imperial is going to do want you want, and it is right around 200 and made in the USA. great warranty and customer service from both stcroix and tfo
The TiCrX is TFO's fastest model, I believe. I have a TiCrX rated for a #6 line, and it is so stiff that it really needs a #7 or even #8 for me to be able to feel my casting stroke well. If you're thinking about a TiCrX for a #8 line, I would urge you to compare the #7 and #8 rods with a #8 line on them before you decide which to buy.

I have test cast the BVK in #8 and it's light enough, but it may not be fast enough for your taste.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM

arrow1347 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
My dad passed away last October and I ended up with his St. Croix Imperial. I already own the same rod in the 5wt. The 8wt is a cannon and I would recommend it for most applications. $220.

Kelly.
i have the sage rplxi execelent rod for steelies.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

A like-new Sage RPL+ 9'6' 8wt goes for around 275 on ebay. They are awesome. I have purchased two of them for that price, and you couldn't tell them from new. Why Sage ever quit making the RPL+ line is beyond me. But I do believe you would find it head and shoulders above any $300 retail new rod you can find.
just another 2 cents.
Gary