The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road
Default 8 weight - WWYB?

So, I researching 8 weights and am always bouncing back to this site so I figured I might as well just ask. I have $300 and am looking for an 8 weight, single hand rod. Im used to fast action Sage rods ("G5 technology") and am not really a huge fan of them out of the box. I had to overline my 5 weight in order to make it work with my casting style, to give you an idea of what I am looking for. Looking for an all around rod that can toss streamers to 10 to 15 pound fish but also will be used with poppers and sinking tips/ lines for bass. Maybe casts around 80 feet, but no more I would imagine. Also, something not too terribly heavy would be nice. My 5 weight is about 3.25 ounces and thats fine with me.

So, with $300, what would you be looking for? New or used, it doesnt matter. As for reel, I have a Hardy St. Aidan.

Thanks and look forward to the advice.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of
Default Re: 8 weight - WWYB?

I'd look at the Redington Predator.. very nice rod 8wt shouldn't have an issue chucking big bass bugs... I have a Predator in 9wt and love it... you should easily be able to cast up to a T-14 sink tip with no issues... super fast rod... so plan on getting a line that is a 1/2wt heavy.. or get a WF9F line for it
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Save a few more bucks and get a Scott A4, definitely be my choice...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Aside from my personal bad luck with the TFO BVK, they cast really well and are generally well liked. For an off the shelf rod, it would fit the bill and is withing the price range.

If you want to go off the shelf, I recently had a Batson RX8 9wt built and absolutely love that thing. It's powerful, has a strong backbone to pull bass form the weeds, and is an absolute cannon.

It is described by the manufacturer as rifle fast which scared me a bit at first. Once I started casting it I would describe more as very fast/tip flex but incredibly smooth and responsive.

I had mine built around that 300 mark
mrfzx likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the BVK. I have the rod in 8wt. and it casts streamers very well. TFO will be coming out with a new rod in a few months, it will be called the "Mangrove". I think it will be worth waiting on.

Another option often overlooked is the TFO Clouser. It is designed to throw heavy streamers.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis made some great low modulus graphite rods during the 80's, I have a 7wt from that period that came with a fighting butt attachment. Caught mine on ebay for $135.00 and it is a wonderful mid-flex rod.

Dave
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Im leaning towards the BVK. For the price, it seems great.

Anyone know anything about the T&T Horizon? The original, slower action one. Not the new, stiff fast action one.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad passed away last October and I ended up with his St. Croix Imperial. I already own the same rod in the 5wt. The 8wt is a cannon and I would recommend it for most applications. $220.

Kelly.
kwb likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Powell Tiboron XL, discontinued and on closeout while supplies last at Sierra Trading Post. Today's price is $123.72 if you use today's discount keycode HPP0731F -- but these promotions keep changing so they may offer a different deal tomorrow. It's a terrific fast-action stick if you don't mind having a lot of filler in the cork grip, but at that price, who's complaining? I have both the 8 weight and the 9 weight and love them (and I paid more than the current pricing).

Powell Tiboron XL Fly Fishing Rod - 4-Piece, 9
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

If you are gonna go with a Asian "not sure if they are all made in China or not, but they are all made overseas" built rod, like the BVK, I would suggest checking out the Beulah Classic...

Very very nice rods for the money...

Beulah Classic Single Hand Series | Beulah Fly Rods

The cork on every TFO rod I have ever seen is junk, plain and simple, more filler than actual cork, meaning after 50 uses, it's gonna be pitted to death. Some people don't mind, but I cannot stand cheap cork. Their blanks are very well designed and of the highest quality though, given their price range.

St. Croix Avid series and Imperial series are great rods as well, made in USA well within your price range.

Last edited by kwb; 02-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.