The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default New to the forum! First "nice" rod question.

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I have been perusing the boards for a little while soaking up all the information I can and decided to finally make the plunge!

I live in Southeastern Idaho and started fly fishing last summer. I originally bought a Cortland all in one deal to learn on and am going to keep it as a back up. I am kind of a gear head and have this urge to upgrade even though I probably don't need to.....anyway.

After much research and reading I think I have narrowed my next rod purchase to 2 rods. An Albright A-5 4 wt. 9' rod, or an Echo2 4wt. 8' or 9' rod. Do you guys have any experience with either of these? Do you think the 8' rod is too small for rivers like the South Fork? I think 8' would be enough on the Teton and Henry's Fork. I am new to the sport and any input/advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dorian
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the forum! First "nice" rod question.

Dorian, I love the Echo 2 specially with the two different tips, but for the rivers you are after, I am going to suggest a 9' 5wt. It gets really windy up there and the longer rod will cut through easier. There are some good size fish in the Fork also and unless you plan on keeping them, you might end up playing them to death on a 4wt. I LOVE my four weights, but I do have plenty of 5's and 6's. A 10' 5wt would also be great. Those are some WIDE rivers.
I will be in Idaho Falls April 18th Friday for the Fly Tying Expo (if not sooner) maybe we can hook up and drown some flies.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Thanks for the quick replies Joni! Question for you. I was hoping to get the 4wt. because I also like to fish the creeks around here. Rainey Creek, Bear Creek, Pine Creek, etc. Also, the Teton is not a very wide river. I guess maybe I am wanting one rod to do too much, I just can't afford two rods right now. That is another reason I was considering the 8 footer. The wind comment you said really rings true though. Maybe I should move up to the 5 weight and get a little creek stick later?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ducker,

Welcome to the sight.

Jody is on the $$$ in my opinion, a 9' 5wt will be a better all around match for the rivers you will fish, though I do use a 9' 4wt fast action rod on The Ranch.
I Just love that S/E Idaho wind, atleast it's consistant. LOL

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dorian, you need to know that your living at the very edge of Heaven.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

joni left out the other half of the equation. not only would a longer rod cut better (especially if it isn't a whippy rod), but the heavier line is an important factor too. i'm just splitting hairs here... :-)

my suggestion would be go for the 5wt like joni said, but look to get a 3wt for the smaller creeks. i hate to recommend another company here but the cabelas three forks 3wt has received some good reviews especially considering its $49 price tag and might work for you.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I think I will go with the 5 wt. Your collective wisdom is much more valuable than my limited experience.

Do any of you have experience or heard anything about those two rods in particular? The Albright A5 and the Echo 2?

50 bucks for a little creek rod is doable.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Echo 2 I have. Two tips, one for distance and one for accuracy. Makes for two awesome rods in one.
The Albright, I have no idea so I will sit back and listen to reports.
One other option on the 3wt, is a W.W.Griggs 6' 2pc. at Sportsmens for $29.
Warning however, a 6' is a bit tough to cast, but is perfect for the brushy places that have no room to lift a rod up. It also sling shots/bow and arrows really nice.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM

Hate to be a pest, but does anyone out there have any experience with Albright rods?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Albright makes great rods. The owner used to own Redington and makes fine sticks. I have used the Albright GP rod which is their bottom line and it was a FANTASTIC rod. I would compare it with rods at four times the cost.