The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM

orandog is on a distinguished road
Default Winston manufacturing dates?

Hi folks.

First post on here so greetings to you all from across the water in Scotland.

Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the likely date of manufacture of a pair of 8-6 4wt im6 rods.
SN:42XX and SN:258XX

Have tried to register on the winston forum but they are not having me. Heres hoping you are an altogether more approachable bunch.

Cheers meantime
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston manufacturing dates?

Hi orandog,

Welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard!

When I tried to register with the Winston forum some time ago, I couldn't use my gmail address and had to use alternative email. I am not sure if there are other domains that they won't accept due to spam issues they have had in the past. That could be your problem getting registered.

Another thought, send an email to the folks at Winston and include your serial numbers or give them a call if it's feasible. I'll bet they'll give you the information you're looking for.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Skip the board; contact Winston direct. Over the past few years I've directed more than a few (most Boo Boys) and Winston's been most responsive.

That said, most of these SN's follow a pretty straight forward (some flip things around) of year/month/rod build number. By your numbers above, it sounds like they start with 'blank build.'

What's yours say in full?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Ditto what Jaybo41 and Fredaevans said, send Winston an email. Kevin at Winston can answer your questions and get you on the forum. Welcome to this forum, it's a great place!