The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Default Bamboo rod-missing section

Afternoon folks.

I have come into possesion of a bamboo rod recently. It was left to me by my grandmother; but was most likely Grandpa's. Since I don't live in the same state I wasn't able to lay hands on it until Christmas.

When my father got it to me it looked as if it was going to be a project rod. All the guides were removed and I think it is missing a section. 2 sections fit together tightly as I expected, but the third doesn't at all. It appears to be the same material and has the same patina with no visible cracking, so I am led to believe that they are not parts from 2 different rods. The sections I do have are not a cylindrical taper on the O.D., they are a polygon with a number of sides that I don't remember at the moment. When fully inserted the third section's diameter looks to be around a 1/16" smaller and just flops around (obviously not usable).

My question is: Is there a way to make or purchase a new section to fit this rod? I assume that I would have to send it somewhere to have it fitted properly, but I am only a yearling to the fly fishing world to begin with and I know nothing about bamboo rods. At the moment I am just looking at the missing secion. I will have to deal with the guides and wrappings at a later time.

I'm a fairly handy person, but with no extra (expendable) cash in the near future I'm guessing that it may just be cheaper to buy (thinking along the lines of material plus tools...). I love to buy tools, don't get me wrong, but I married an accountant who said I have too many hobbies and I need my allowance restricted. There's just no justice.

I thank everyone for any advise.
Have a good one.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bamboo rod-missing section

The short answer is yes, although it may not be worth the cost as a pure value proposition. Still, the sentimental value of restoring Grandpa's old rod and catching one more fish on it for old times' sake can't be measured in dollars and cents. (I can tell you that from firsthand experience, having just been through a similar exercise myself.)

The bamboo fans, craftsmen and artisans tend to congregate over at the Classic Fly Rod Forum: The Classic Fly Rod Forum • Index

Go ask your question over there and you will get lots of detailed advice!

Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a very good chance that this would not be cost effective.
What kind rod is it first of all? Model and length too.

By the "third section" I assume that you mean the tip and the ferrules do not match. Is the tip the same length as the other 2 sections? It sounds like it may be "short" (broken). A little short may not be that hard to fix but a lot short is.

If you truly need a new section, any bamboo rod maker can build you one, but he's gonna charge you good. Sometimes it's better not to put a $200 repair on a $75 rod
FrankB2 likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

What has been posted above is true. A new section can be made, but it may not be worth it, that's for sure. Not only would a new section need to be made, but you are also looking at the cost of new ferrules to get the proper fit. Either that or the builder would have to machine a new ferrule to fit the existing ferrule and that would cost more than a new set. Cost example: Last section I made cost the customer, was to replace a broken section, $200.00 and it had the proper ferrules to begin with. Plus if the rod was flame darkened the builder would have to try to match the existing flaming and that could be a pain.

Not talking you out of it, just pointing out you are looking at a few hundred dollars to get the rod back in working order. Many a rod, back in the day, were made out of inferior cane and not worth having a new section made. If it was Grandpa's fisher and means the world to you then yes, spend the money to get her fixed up.

If it happens to be a rod from a famous maker you would want to have it properly restored to its original condition.

Which section is missing or doesn't fit properly? If it is the butt section then you can use to tip and mid sections to make a two piece rod.

Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Pete
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about this, it sounds to me as if there was a break above the tip ferrule and a repair was started but not fully acted on.
If that's so, it may be only a matter of building up the cane section with thread just enough to fit the ferrule while extending the repair to beyond the stress point and then over-wrapping the whole deal.
At least that's the way I picture it. (Best case scenario )
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The more I think about this, it sounds to me as if there was a break above the tip ferrule and a repair was started but not fully acted on.
If that's so, it may be only a matter of building up the cane section with thread just enough to fit the ferrule while extending the repair to beyond the stress point and then over-wrapping the whole deal.
At least that's the way I picture it. (Best case scenario )
Actually that may be the way I end up going. When i got home last night I studied it a little more in depth. It may only be 3 sections after all (you wouldn't think a person would mess that up), when I first got it I put the first 2 sections together and they were so lose that I took them apart before checking the others. Turns out that with all 3 together it is about 8 feet or so.

Looking closer at the lose section it appears that the male ferrule is worn down a bit. At some point it slid forward of a good connection about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and was used like that for a while. So when sliding it in the female ferrule hits a ledge and the whole thing wobbles around. If I line it up straight the female section will slide over the edge and slide up another1/4-1/2".

So i could probably find some similar color wrapping and resin and build it back up. It will probably end up on the wall as a cool display piece, but it will be a display with a little history.

Thanks. guys
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

My advise, before you do anything, try to find out exactly what you have. Chances are, you have a rod worth only $50 or so on a good day. But if on the off chance Grandpa was really into fishing, there is the off chance you could have a rod worth several hundred dollars.

If Grandpa took the time to strip the rod down, it meant something, at least to him. Otherwise he would have just thrown it away.

Take a couple of pictures of what you have, and post them on a forum here or on a bamboo rod forum. It's worth the few minutes it takes, just to be sure.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo