The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM

adam maskew is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help deciding on a new 9wt....

My group of friends and I haven't swung an echo ion but three of them just purchased BVK 9wts after trying one. I have to say they like them a lot, as do I. They cast great and fight fish well.

My NRX had a brain fade and I borrowed a BVK and fished it most of the day with intermediates and sinkers. What a great rod - casts well, fights well. I landed a couple GTs and others in good form to about 30lb from my boat fishing solo.

Sure it isn't as nice as my NRX but it isn't a 1/4 of it either. If I was looking to get a back up or rod for an intermediate fly fisher I'd recommend one of these for the price point.

Adam
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

Man I'm glad I asked here! So many great responses! Adam...I appreciate your take on the BVK, personal accounts mean more to me than website articles and what not. Not that online reviews aren't informative, just that I place more value in user reviews ... Thanks!...I'll look into that Sage as well, appreciate the suggestion.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I had a 7wt & 8wt BVK. They are fast an light but for me they were pretty specific use, bit farther casting. They do feel good double hauling for longer casts. However a days fishing requires more varying casts

We wade fish for reds & trout near Palacios, TX and cast from 15'-75' without the advantage of having another rod available. Most outings are 3-4 hours at a time. Wind is always a factor, every trip. Often we wade in the back weedy bays where close casts are needed

The BVK's for me did not do a good job at all in the shorter range casts at all. The close range casts need more precise accuracy and the BVK was hardly stressed and lost ability for this precision.

Sage put their Flights on sale at about the same price. I bought an 8wt Flight which is now my go to saltwater wading rod. It does well across the full range of distances we have to face in a morning's wade. The Flight times well on long cast in 15mph+ winds so I give up nothing here(replaced the 7wt with the Vantage which my wife just loves).

Sold my BVK's. IMHO they feel like a long light spinning rod, really fast. I feel TFO has taken the "fast" to far.

Pete A.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Very interesting pete...know I have too many rods on my plate to think about ....I'm just gonna have to go and test some of these to keep my choices down to a minimum. Really want to know if the Echo in 9wt feels and casts as well as I hope they would. From what I've read they are very strong in fighting fish so I hope the other half of the equation I'm lookin for works out. Thanks for the input all!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Doing some further research into the BVK's and seems there have been quit a few of them breaking in the higher weighs when fighting large fish....looks like I really need to go swing an Echo Ion before I pull the trigger in one. No me else have experiences with the Ion? So strange there isn't a lot of press about them.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 PM

There has been a couple of thoughts on the BVK breakages. My reading of the tea leaves is most of them have been operator error .

These photos are of my friend Tony who bought the BVK as his intro stick and this is from his first fly fishing only trip in Jan 2013. we've had one floating around for about 12 months so my opinion isn't just based on Tonys performance with it as a new FF...

The BVK didn't feel like it would break or buckle when I used it...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

]Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing the photos, beautiful fish...nice bend in the rod! Looks like a good fighting stick to me
Well...just more for me to think about lol. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 AM

I reckon you've reached the point of information saturation and decision overload.

Got luck with your decision and hope you get to cast before you buy a bit.

Adam
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Ha ha ha! Most definitely overload.... I'll let ya all know what I pick up thanks again everyone!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Not an Ion but the ECHO3 is a terrific and tough 9-weight. Different personality, but I have an older Legend Elite that is a very fine casting rod. We have the BVK in an 8-weight and have not broken it but it does not feature the refinment or personality of these other two modest priced rods.