The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Need help deciding on a new 9wt....

Hi there! I'm in the market for a second rod in the 9wt category. After reading numerous reviews from various websites I've kinda narrowed my choices between the Echo Ion 9wt. and TFO BVK 9wt. My primary target fishing with this set-up will be tiger-muskie, pike and other large fish. I really like this price point so Im trying to stay around the $250 range. I believe both companies have an excellent warranty program and are both regarded as great rod manufactures. I would also like to use this rod as a travel rod that I can also use up in the pacific NW on steelhead and salmon...as well as the occasional trip to Hawaii for bones and the like from the surf. I prefer fast action, but not broomstick fast. There seems to be a lot of print on the BVK but not much on the Ion. So if anyone has extensive knowledge or experience with either of these rods, please I would love to hear...thanks

Mark
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need help deciding on a new 9wt....

What's your first 9 weight that you are trying to complement with a second? Do you want something with a different action for more versatility, or something similar to have a backup for your favorite?

Have you already narrowed you choices down to only those two models, and are now trying to decide between them, or are you asking for suggestions of other brands/models too?

I have a 5 weight Echo 2 but I'm not familiar with the Ion. My Echo 2 is a good rod and Echo has a reputation for excellent quality at a value price point.

I have test cast the BVK 8 weight and the qualities you say you are looking for describe it very well. I assume the #9 is similar.

I would want to test cast both of them in the 9 weight before deciding to buy one, though. A heavy rod like a 9 weight that doesn't match your casting stroke will wear out your wrist in no time. I have come back from fishing trips with carpal tunnel problems because I didn't have the right #9 rod. I healed, but in retrospect, I might have been willing to pay more for a rod better suited to my stroke instead. It's like a golfer with just the right clubs or a tennis player with just the right racket or a skier with just the right skis or a runner with just the right shoes. There are plenty of quality models around, and every one will have its fans in online forums like these, but you want the one that fits you best.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

The St. Croix bargain room has several 9wt Legend Ultra rods.
The prices are in the $185 to $205 range (1/2 of MSRP).
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
The St. Croix bargain room has several 9wt Legend Ultra rods.
The prices are in the $185 to $205 range (1/2 of MSRP).
Wow, they've also got the discontinued previous incarnation of the Legend Elite for only $235 or $240 (depending on whether you order the freshwater or saltwater configuration), a huge discount. That rod in the 8 weight was one of the winners of the Yellowstone Angler shootout in 2008.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I bought my girlfriend the Ion 9wt for Christmas, it seems like a great rod. I THINK they are changing the blank color so the current ones may be on sale somewhere. I actually like the matte grey blank. We have other Echos as well from the Carbon to the Echo 3 and I love them all.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Moucher....no it will be my first 9wt. Thanks for the informative reply Unfortunately the retailers and shops here do not carry any Echos but they are a dealer...the other few retailers do not carry the TFO BVK in anything larger than a 7wt. I will most definitely try and cast a few others to keep my options open but really do like the ruggedness and almost bomb proof the Echo Ions are. I was hopping the BVK had the backbone or spine to battle larger fish like Muskie or pike in that weight. Ive read a few posts that the BVK can be fragile when battling larger fish. The Ion seems to fit the bill in that department but really wanted feedback on how it casts and loads from close (30ft-50ft) as i read that it can launch at greater distances. Thank you all for your replies and look forward to others as well

Mark
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
deathwish

I bought a new Temple Forks Axiom 1/2 price sale 150.00 and it's a nice rig for my price range.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM

If I were you and had no opportunity to try anything else out ahead of time, I would be very tempted to get that Legend Elite on the St. Croix bargain page. It was St. Croix's top-of-the-line offering until it was discontinued. At that price, even if you don't like it you could probably get most or all of your cost back selling it secondhand.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Hmmm...definitely gonna have to check out the St.Croix. Woodriver....have you cast the Ion or hooked up with any big fish yet?? If so how does it feel? From what I'm reading both the BVK and Ion change characteristics when moving from 8wt to the 9wt.? Anyone experienced this first hand. I'm tryin to find a rod that will cast into the wind for flats, load well, great warranty, durrable and at the same time put pressure on big fish when needed without feeling like its gonna snap for around $250...maybe one such rod doesn't exist thanks all for the replies!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Approach - All Water Fly Rods | Sage Fly Fishing and it's made in the U.S.A. I don't know where the others are made so just throwing that info out there.