The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
For example: marking a rod down for having bad swing weight, well many types of fishing may require that rod with the heavier swing weight "stronger tip" and therefore deducting from that rods score due to that is not really giving anyone a real World opinion of how that rod will work for them. You ask me, it's a great way to make marketing actually deter from better fly rod design, ...
I just had a conversation about swing weight. We both agreed it was a load of nonsense except for maybe right in the tip end, and then means almost nothing. I might as well start marketing fly fisherman watches that weigh next to nothing because lord knows we would not want to strain an arm with a fat divers watch like I wear. The same thing goes with the wind resistance thing. Seriously, who really thinks it makes some huge difference in wind resistance going from what is a skinny blank to an even skinnier blank?

Marketing has become a driver over reallity in some of this.
kwb, fly_guy12955 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Very funny.

I was reading the last issue of "fly fisherman gear" at a barnes and noble and one advertisement said "spend the day working the river, NOT getting worked over by your fly rod".

I can't imagine the people sitting around the table, deciding what to say on a 1 page magazine ad that would make people unhappy with their perfectly good fly rod enough to go buy this new one .

You can't be happy with your old rod because then you wouldn't buy stuff! I mean, you wouldn't want to just go work on your casting to increase your skill -- that would just be stupid.
casting is part of the skill of Fly -Fishing or am I wrong?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
I like it as I'm in England
Ha! What is the list price of a Zenith and an Artisan over there?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

yeah i see the same thing with archery every year they reinvent the bow and try to convince you that you couldnt possibly kill anything with your bow you bought last year or two years ago. ofcousre the animals havent changed for thousands of years.its easy to get caught up in the hype and amazing how many people im sure the new rods are great but seeing how i have 4 scotts and two sages and a winston that all cost me over 600 i dont think ill be buying any to replace them soon. i wonder how many fisherman are really capable of extracting the potential of these rods versus how many just get caught up in the marketing hype.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
What's that Lefty says about fly fishing and a Kansas stock yard ??
Exactly my thoughts,The Reasons being,every single one of us would probably Rate All The Rods Differently,also there are some beaut rods around which don't cost an Arm & Two Legs which still do The Job.
I have just bought a Grey's GRXi 9'6" 6wt 4pce on Ebay,I find a dream to use for my style of Fishing,which in turn wouldn't suit others for $110 + $30 Shipping with a new Ross Flystart 3 & a Xpert Distance Line thrown in,on which I have caught Browns to 7 1/4 lbs & Rainbows to 4 1/2 lbs.
So the Bottom Line I'd never buy a Rod regardless what it was,what it does etc, on someones elses recomendations & I'm sure many others here think along similiar lines as I know people who have bought Rods on Recomendations & have been disapointed.
Brian
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Ha! What is the list price of a Zenith and an Artisan over there?
when I log off I will have a look . I bet the import duties are cheaper over there than here , ........ robbing customs.

why buy Hardy ?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

why buy Hardy ?
Because they are Good Rods.
Even though I own Sage,Loomis,Talon,TFO & many other Brand Rods as well as Greys which are marketed by Hardys.

Hardy's was once looked to be The Only rod in The Split Cane Era,even though there were many Good Rod Makers Worldwide.
Also I'm always checking Rods & Reels on Ebay & other Places & Find nearly always is Cheaper to Buy Hardy's & Grey's Rods from The US than it is from The UK.
Brian.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Nevermind sorry
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
casting is part of the skill of Fly -Fishing or am I wrong?
Sorry - my sarcasm didn't translate very well.

Yes, I'd rather work on my casting than waste money on a fly rod that probably won't have any benefit to me over the one I already have.

It's amazing how much "better" my fly rod gets the more time I spend on the water .
Guest1 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
It's amazing how much "better" my fly rod gets the more time I spend on the water .
And that line there is the crust of the biscuit. It is at least 90% caster and not the rod so much. Buying a skinny, featherweight, ultra fast rod is not going to turn you into Steve Rajeff. Practice and getting used to the rod will do more for you than dropping $1200 on a rod.

The coversation I had today, that covered a lot of this kind of stuff was with my friend Bill. I listen to what he says because he has become a caster on a whole different plane than us mere mortals flailing graphite in the wind.

To cut a long story short, we discussed the marketing of fly rods and how many things that are being marketed are not exactly the best thing for really getting a great distance and some of what they say is outright malarky. Bill has hit a level where he has in essence 'pulled back the curtain' and seen past the marketing and hype. Not just that but the firmly held beliefs of many of us who cast pretty well. Some of the stuff they are shoveling is just pointless or in a worst case scenario just wrong.

In case we have a reader here who has not heard of Bill, he casts past 130' with a 5 wt. and I have seen him crack 100' with just a rod tip and on one knee. He did that last one with a Cabelas Three Forks rod and a K-Mart $10 line. This is a cast he did with my 8wt and a 7 wt. Trevor Morgan line. I posted this a long time ago and he is much better now.
Click the image to open in full size.

There is a school of thought that extra fast rods are not the best for getting distance. I'm about 100% sure that wind resistance thing is bologna designed entirely for marketing. Most of the weight thing is also. Like I said, I should start marketing lightweight watches that say Abel on them to match those nippers.
fly_guy12955 likes this.