The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/310176-2013-5-weight-shootout-preview.html)

sweetandsalt 02-06-2013 11:17 AM

2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview

The Yellowstone Angler's George Anderson is preparing an all-new 5-weight shootout for this spring but has published on his website 2013 5-weight Mini-Shootout - Yellowstone Angler a preview featuring the so far leading top four contenders. This should provide plenty of data for us to debate until the full blown Shootout appears as the trout season approaches.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph..._2013_MINI.jpg

chi flyfisher 02-06-2013 11:34 AM

Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout - The Preview

Wow. I love fly rods but is there really a fly rod for $1,300 that's not hand made grass :confused:

kwb 02-06-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi flyfisher (Post 524024)
Wow. I love fly rods but is there really a fly rod for $1,300 that's not hand made grass :confused:

Made in England = Heavy Duties

db cooper 02-06-2013 11:43 AM

I can see the Hardy and the Sage but imho the Winston Biiix and the ONE both eclipse the h2...

moucheur2003 02-06-2013 11:55 AM

If I win the lottery I am getting one of those Artisans. I would have a Zenith already except for how much I hate the looks of that reel seat. (If only Hardy would bring out a Zenith rod with the Artisan reel seat, I would probably get a couple of different sizes!)

jpbfly 02-06-2013 12:00 PM

Can't see my $50 Quarrow 9' 5wt in the top 5:confused::(:D
Fished it with a 110kmph wind last saturday and it did the job:faint::D

sweetandsalt 02-06-2013 12:05 PM

I cast the #5 Artisan at Somerset and though devine, I like the Zenith better...my buddy craved the Artisan though. It's predecessor the Angel was over a grand as well and though beautiful, hardly rang up sales in the US. DB, Anderson has a marked preference for rods with power but with softer tips too. Hence his downgrade of ONE (I agree with you though). Moucheur, A little birdie whispered in my ear something about wooden reel seats but I can't remember what song it sang. The one on the Artisan is exceptionally attractive.

moucheur2003 02-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 524040)
Moucheur, A little birdie whispered in my ear something about wooden reel seats but I can't remember what song it sang. The one on the Artisan is exceptionally attractive.

I believe I may have heard the same same bird singing the same song rather recently myself. I hope he wasn't just singing a song about the Artisan.

stl_geoff 02-06-2013 12:43 PM

the Hardy is so they have some compition with Sage and the One Elite 5wt. Everytime I see a circa i get so mad at sage and they awful colored reel seat they decided to use with it, but i see it matches the rod tube :vomit:

kwb 02-06-2013 01:10 PM

I still have a very hard time taking a shootout seriously that is being conducted by a group of individuals whom would allow personal issues with a company to dictate poor shootout results as they so blatantly do with Scott Fly Rods.

Not to mention, most of the things that rate these rods are so subjective that it is really quite unrealistic to even name a "winner", but that is what it is and does add some "fun" to it.

Bottom line, it's marketing hype to get their name out there and nothing more in my opinion, but some of the info they provide I do admit is very interesting. I do respect the great idea they had to get their name out there, I guarantee they make a lot of money because of these things.

For example: marking a rod down for having bad swing weight, well many types of fishing may require that rod with the heavier swing weight "stronger tip" and therefore deducting from that rods score due to that is not really giving anyone a real World opinion of how that rod will work for them. You ask me, it's a great way to make marketing actually deter from better fly rod design, you simply can't rate rods on the scale they are, way too many variables. Yet you know because so many people will blindly follow these things, it will in the end effect fly rod design.

I guess in a nutshell I think they should do more to show people just how inaccurate their way of judging rods COULD be, depending on what they want out of a fly rod.

The way they rate a rod, would be similar to rating automobiles and ranking a Chevy Tahoe above a Corvette or vice-verse...