The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM

brianlynch49 is on a distinguished road
Default Scott fly rod parts

Hi

Does anyone know of a site or company that lists or carries Scott fly rod parts. I imagine there are a number of fly rods that have one section broken that are not worth sending to Scott for repair and therefore useless. I am one, I have an E2 4wt9'4p rod with the section below the tip that is broken. I need to get in touch with other guys with broken sections (hopefully not the second section) so we can combine and at least get a couple of rods back into service rather than them hanging around in the back of the closet :0(
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Scott fly rod parts

They will build you a new section for a pretty reasonable price, even if you aren't under warranty...

Just in case you didn't know...

I do not believe a site like you are looking for exists... Perhaps if you put a wanted add in the sites classifieds section.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brian: I agree with Kory, give Scott Rods a call and see what they can do for you. If it is too expensive, the least you're out is the cost of a call.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I've never heard of anyone running a mix & match bone yard for Scott's.

The E2 wasn't around that long, so even if there was, the chances would be slim by comparison to - say a G series.

+1 with what the others advise, call them.

TT

Brian is it? I missed this earlier. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy is an authorized repair agent for a number of the different rod manufacturers and does all the repairs for a large urban general tackle shop.
i suggest that you take the rod to the best tackle shop in your area and see what they say.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input.

I will check with Scott. If I have no luck with Scott, I may check back for suggestions for tackle shops that could do rod repairs.

Regards

Brian
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hey brian,
just caught your thread. welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search

casey

ARFE
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM

I'm not that familiar with fit. Typically how well do sections interchange between rods of the same model. Do they do a final fit for the blank set or do the batches of blanks all fit well on fabrication.

Doe anyone know what IM grahite is used in the E2

Thanks

Brian
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

When Scott replaces a section, they not only mic them first for proper fit, they flex test the entire rod with the new section on it. To insure that it's flex profile stays within the limits of the original. This hands on approach to each repair or replacement takes a bit more time and can result in a longer lead time on repairs.

Just speaking for myself as the owner of several Scott's. That E2 retailed for what? Around $495.00? I can't imagine a scenario, in which it wouldn't be worth my time or the expense to get the rod put back into proper working order by the people who designed and built it.
What worth would the rod have with some jumbled together piece of who knows what graphite composite, configured in a taper of unknown character, that just so happens to have a ferrule that fitís the rod. It wonít be the same rod, it wonít have the same action and youíll have paid for that questionable repair.

Hereís another idea. Why not just sell the rod in itís broken state to someone who will get it repaired properly and take the money from the sale and buy one of the offshore rods - with a no questions asked full replacement warranty.

Best, TT
Old 02-09-2013, 03:11 PM

If you have an older rod why not look for a replacement section that doesn't cost you half the price of a new rod. A Scott E2 590-4 (9' 5wt) Fly Rod (905/4) @ Leland Upgrade sold for $225. If my math is correct that makes each good section is worth $55 each and someone gets the sock and tube for $5 . If Scott has high quailty rod blanks. I'm sure that they all fit together well and should all have a pretty equal flex. therefore you can fix 4 rods for $225. To have Scott fix 4 rods it will cost $600. or more. Have I missed something? And yes if I was a world class flyfisherman I would get it fixed by Scott to insure everything was back to original. But if I was a world class flyfisherman I wouldn't own an E2 . It would be alot higher class Scott rod than E2.

If anyone interested I have an E2 490-4 with the section below the tip that is broken. I will gladly sell each good section for $75. or I'll buy a used rod that does not have that section broken.

Regards

Brian