The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Echo carbon vs Redington CT

My review of Lawn casting (or should i say snow casting) the Echo carbon 4 weight which I received today: I really really like the feel of this rod....it is appropriate to call this rod medium fast....maybe a tad closer to medium even...its NOT a broomstick (although I happen to love broomsticks). It casts with absolute ease.....shooting line/double hauling is done with ease. I don't think I will have any problem laying out a 60-70 foot cast accurrately. I bought this rod with medium sized rivers in mind and I can't wait to break the seal on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Walter,

Your fresh off the snow review of your new 4 weight Carbon is for the 8’, 8 Ĺ’ or 9’ model ?

You find it to be medium fast, possibly leaning towards medium.

Echo lists there three, 4 weight Carbon models as:
8’ Med Fast
8 Ĺ’ Med Fast +
9’ Med fast +

It’s good to have someone adding balance to the manufacturers product literature.

…and how do you like the fit and finish of the Carbon?
How does it stack up to your CT?
Does your taste in rods, run towards polished blanks and wood inserts or more towards edgy utilitarian products?
Come here often?

Thanks for the information.
TT
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey TT.....
I have the 8 1/2 foot 4 weight.....its a nice looking rod with a matte finish (non shiny...which is a positive quality to me). on a pure aesthetics basis - the Redington CT really is a more beautiful rod to look at.....but that is the only advantage to me and the lowest priority on my list. What I like about the Echo is its about as "progressive" as I can get. I'm a light tippet dry fly purist trapped in the fast action body of a Sage XP Lover...LOL. Most dry fly guys love the "traditional" rods like the Redington CT - which is a great progressive rod if that is what you want. The Echo just seems a better rod based on my own personal tendencies.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM

I'm an addict.....But I guess admitting that you have a problem is the first step: I just ordered another Echo Carbon....a 6' 6" 3 weight on closeout for $99 including shipping. Do I need it ? not at all....5% of my fishing requires that rod....I already have a 7' Cabelas Clear creek 3 wt that fits that bill.....nevertheless in my delusion I felt this rod would fill a Niche is my arsenal. I'm done...i'm never getting another rod again - unless Hardy Zeniths go on closeout!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
I'm an addict.....But I guess admitting that you have a problem is the first step: I just ordered another Echo Carbon....a 6' 6" 3 weight on closeout for $99 including shipping. Do I need it ? not at all....5% of my fishing requires that rod....I already have a 7' Cabelas Clear creek 3 wt that fits that bill.....nevertheless in my delusion I felt this rod would fill a Niche is my arsenal. I'm done...i'm never getting another rod again - unless Hardy Zeniths go on closeout!!!!!!!!!!
I guess we should start Fly Fishing Anonymous, FFA. That has a nice sound to it.

I've been resisting the urge to buy that 6'6" 3 wt even though I have a 5'9 3wt, a 7' 3 wt, a 7'6" 3wt, and a 8' 3wt, not to mention my 6'6" 4wt and 7' 2wt.

Notice, I don't actually have a 6'6" 3wt. And I certainly don't have a 4 pc short rod (although my 8' is a 6 pc).

Maybe I should get one...hopefully they sell out soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road

I have the ct 7'6 3wt for small creeks and I love it. Don't know much ab
out the echo but the ct has brought a lot of smiles to a lot of faces.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road

I have an Echo Carbon 9' 5 wt. and love it. I cannot comment on the CT but would doubt you'd have any complaints with Carbon. Last week, I went to local fly shop to have a look around and ended up test casting the Echo Edge 9' 8wt...which ended up coming home with me