The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Sage 389-3 VPS

Is there anyone on the forum that has any experience or can offer an opinion on the Sage VPS rods. I have been looking for a 389-3 LL for some time now without success so I am considering this rod as an alternative. The rod will be used for stream and river fishing as well as evenings on the lake with my canoe. Would appreciate any feedback you care to offer.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage 389-3 VPS

I don't have specific knowledge about the VPS you are referencing. However, the VPS Light, not the VPS, is the rod that is closest to the Sage LL line of rods. I've seen it described as the exact same blank with lesser hardware. That I can not confirm.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
I have also read that the VPS light series was built on the same blank as the Sage LL. For that reason, I purchased a VPS light 379-3 a couple of years ago. It is my absolute favorite small stream rod. It is magnificent & matches my casting stroke, tempo perfectly.
The build and aesthetics are pretty good as well...but then again when I am fishing with it..I am so focussed on the presentation that I rarely check out the color of the rod blank etc.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I have a vps 690 and a 389 LL. The vps light is the same as the LL except no frills. The 379 either way is a better rod than the 389 with such a flexing tip on that blank imo. My vps is no frills, sometimes ugly, sometimes looking like bamboo depending on the light but it chucks heavy nymph rigs great.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I noticed a VPS Light 389-3 on the big auction site, six days left. Tempting, I love my LLs but am in selling mode (NOT either LL, a 99) right now, not buying.

I have a 279 LL and a 4711 LL, absolutely love em. I need a 3 wt one of these days
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
I noticed a VPS Light 389-3 on the big auction site, six days left.
Yep that's a 389 LL blank. Look at the first three inches from the tip top and tell me what me what you see. Flexy. Maybe too flexly.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
Yep that's a 389 LL blank. Look at the first three inches from the tip top and tell me what me what you see. Flexy. Maybe too flexly.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that by looking at the first three inches of a fly rod you can conclude that it's too "flexy" in the tip and that further this is a bad thing?

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that by looking at the first three inches of a fly rod you can conclude that it's too "flexy" in the tip and that further this is a bad thing?

Cheers,
Mike.
No I make the flexy tip remark a lot about my own 389 LL because it is. I don't like to bash the 389 LL blank that so many people love because I love it too. Casting this rod is so delicate and precise it's awesome.

But the first three inches of my 389 is so flexy it wiggles very, very fast, uncontrollable, and out of proportion with the rest of the blank. Look at the pic and you can see it. If you don't keep a good load on the tip and let the line slack the rod tip will wiggle and weave the leader around the first few inches of the tip and fly line. It's wrapped so tightly around them you have to cut the leader off without nicking the blank or the fly line along side. It happens when a fish gives a tug and the line shoots straight back. Or you let the line get loose walking, or you stumble down a bank with the rod tip level.

I try to keep the line extra taught but it doesn't help all the time. Your fault, the fishes, or any fault you're down for thirty minutes. It would be okay if it only happened once or ten times but it's a lot more than that over twenty years. I don't fish it any more and I've been asked to sell it many times but I just can't do that knowing this. I've fished the 379 LL and it doesn't have the problem I am describing at all and you can see the difference in the action of the rod tip. I have often though about making mine a 386, I bet it would work. I have never had any other fly rod do this to me. I wish I had bought the 379 LL but at the time I thought longer was better. Now I like to fish short rods.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM

I've never had that problem with either of my 389LL's with is the reason for my question. Sounds like a pain.