The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default opinions needed on my quiver

so heres my delema.i have a three wt scott g2 that i use mostly when i know ill be fishing dries a 9ft 4wt g2that i use for most of my fishing love it for dries and light to medium nymphs.i also have a 9ft 5 wt g2 thative never used cause i use the 4 so much. i also have a 9 ft six that i use for smallmouth and bigger streamers and heavier nymphs on bigger water. its a decent rod but id like to get a nicer one. i have an offer to trade the 5wt for a 9 ft z axis in either 5 or 6. so im thinking trade the 5wt g2 for the 6wt z axis and just leave out the five weight for now. i know a 5 is generally considerd the all around trout rosd so i feel kind of weird without one but it just seems like i can cover most of my more delicate fishing with the four and sometimes in bigger water its nice to have the extra umph that the six can offer if needed. i also have an 8 ft 4wt b2x for smaller water so thats not really an issue. so what are some of your guys thoughts.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions needed on my quiver

Makes sense to me. A 4 and 5 wt or 5 and 6 aren't that different from each other. Ifnyou use the 4 and not the 5 and the 6 gets you nicely into bass then skip the 5.
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I just plain love my 9' 6wt Z for bass fishing and streamers. If you don't use your 5wt, then why not?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I find myself in a similar quandary , I had a 5 wt and used it once in three years and sold it. Now I want a 5wt. Why do I want a 5wt ?? Because I belong at a fly fishing gear brothel. I'm 40, bored and my midlife crisis is manifesting itself in acquisitions of fly gear. I work 60 hours a week and play house husband while my wife finishes her masters degree, so my release is the pursuit of big fishes in little rivers.

In all seriousness for me I have a small stream 4wt, med-fast 4wt and a fast 4wt, then I have a med 6wt and a fast 6wt. As others said when I posted a similar question there isn't much a 5wt could do that my Zaxis 4wt couldn't do.

Get the 6wt, in a Zaxis that covers some of the need if you ever have a spot where a 7wt would be nice also. The Zaxis is a cannon.
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you have it figured out all on your own. If keeping the 5 wt and somehow getting the 6wt z-axis was an option I would do it. I have way too many rods myself. Whenever I can, I fish with a 4 wt. I use my 6 wt for double-nymph rigs and streamers. I could easily bridge the "5 gap" with a 4wt and a 6wt. Just my two cents.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
It sounds like you have it figured out all on your own. If keeping the 5 wt and somehow getting the 6wt z-axis was an option I would do it. I have way too many rods myself. Whenever I can, I fish with a 4 wt. I use my 6 wt for double-nymph rigs and streamers. I could easily bridge the "5 gap" with a 4wt and a 6wt. Just my two cents.
That was my thought too. If keeping the 5wt and adding the 6wt is an option that would be most excellent. Of course so would a straight up trade for the 5wt Z. The 590 Z Axis is absolutely responsible for starting my sickness and my rod collection is borderline obnoxious. I just added my 6th 4wt. Less is more when tying flies, but I like to have different rods to pick from. Like I said, it's a sickness.
mcnerney, okuma, comeonavs and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 02-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Six 4wts here as well
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Another vote for the Z Axis 6, because it's a stouter rod than anything you've got now and can expand your capability on the heavier end of the spectrum. (But it's a close call. If you got the 5, I suspect you might find yourself using your new 5 more and your old 6 less, because I suspect you might find you can cover more varied situations with the Z Axis 5 than the Scott G2 6.)
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

yeah thats kind of what i was thinking that the 4 and thefive overlap each other.i live inthe east and fish mostly med size tailwaters with finicky fish that eat small flies hence the 4wt getting alot of action. or bigger tailwater( north branch potomac) which have heavier water where you need to fish heavier nymphs/hopper droppers, and bigger streamers.which is where the 6wt z axis i think would shine.most of the bass fishing is med size rivers and creeks for smallmouth and farm pond largemouth so i dont need giant bass flies just medium size clousers and poppers so the 6wt z should do fine for what i want.the only thing that makes me a little nervous without th 5 is id like to go and fish the delaware for trout maybe some central pa streams or oneday out west.i may find myself in need of a 9foot five in those places, but then i havent actually made it to fish them yet so i guess ill cross that bridge when i come to it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Keep the #5 and ditch the rest. OK, don't do that really. What I do is keep them all and add new ones, however, to answer your question: keep the 8'/#4 small stream rod, dispose of the G2#3, keep the G2#'s 4 & 5 and trade the 6 (what model?) for the superior Z-Axis. It is not about line weight overlap but, rather, rod personality/capability diversity. One can easily and appropriately have several same line size rods that function optimally in different fishing environments. I fish an elderly Orvis 8'/#4 with a CFO IV on small streams, an 8 1/2'/#4 Zenith on spring creeks and a 9'/#4 NRX on big tail waters when in the 4-weight state of mind (& all three rig with different lines too). I have more 5-weights and they see 75% of my dry fly only trout fishing both east and west. And I fish #6's too but I own and literally never fish 3-weights. Scott G2's are fine casting, well built rods with great tradition but it makes sense to experience rods with more diversified performance characteristics. The new (to you) Z-Axis may be a watershed experience as it is both conceptually and materially a much more modern interpretation of what a fly rod can be.