The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM

leowelss is on a distinguished road
Default Winston Passport or Redington Pursuit

So, I already own a Pursuit 7' 2 wt. I love the rod and thought it was a bargain for the price. I like the 2 wt for smaller creeks. The largest river I fish is usually 30-40 feet at it's widest. With that, I want to upgrade to a 3 to 4 wt though because the fish in the rivers are a bit bigger and, while I can cast my 7' the appropriate distance, it's a bit harder to toss out bigger woolly buggers, particularly when there's wind.

I've been looking at either a 7'6 3 wt or a 8 ft 3 wt. I was worried the 7'6 3 wt wouldn't be a huge upgrade for what I'm looking for over my 7' 2 wt. But, I do like smaller rods...

With that, I've decided to either get another Redington Pursuit (7'6 3 wt) or Winston Passport (7'6 3 wt)? The Pursuit is more in my price range, but I was just wondering if the Winston Passport is worth the extra $100? Or, should I go to 8 ft?

Sorry, I know I've put forth a lot of questions in here, but any advice, particularly regarding the two rods, would be helpful.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston Passport or Redington Pursuit

If the 7' 2wt is your only rod, I'd buy an 8 1/2' 4wt...even a 5wt. It's much easier to cast Wooly Buggers with at least a 4wt, and the greater length provides all sorts of benefits. While I fish an 8 1/2' 4wt most of the time (even with heavy flies like Clousers), there are days and fish which call for a rod with the power to get the job done. I've cast to smallmouth chasing baitfish, and they can cover a lot of water in seconds. That means I have to get my bugger/clouser/streamer to a particular section NOW, and I don't have the luxury of making 3 false casts to fight the wind, or shoot line 40 feet.

I don't have any experience with the rods you mentioned, but have read the Passport is a fine rod.