The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greys rods ?

I don't have the XF2, just the 5wt streamflex. I use a 5wt WF Floating line or 5wt WF sink tip. Works great. The XF2 may be a lttle stiffer, don't know for sure. I use GPX on other rods because they are faster which helps.

Craig[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

I have a Grey's XF2 Streamflex 10 ft 4 wt. I have it over lined one full size. I have it lined with a 5 wt cold water Clouser line. I love it!
Hope this helps.
Fred
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I bought a Grey' GRXi in a 9'6" 6wt on Ebay,The guy threw in a new $70 Ross Reel & $70 Line,I have found it to be The Best Value For Money Rod I've ever bought,it's a dream to use & Cast for The Fishing I've been doing lately,one more thing I've caught heaps of Browns & Rainbows to 7 1/4lbs with it.
They aren't The Prettiest Rods I have,the Cork in The Grips are just Ordinary however I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Greys or Hardy's Rod as The Prices are Very Reasonable & they do the job.
Brian
leithel likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I have a number of Greys rods. Great value for money. The best has to be the Platinum XD Comp special. Mine is a 10' #6, great casting machine
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I know what the Grey's site says but what action would YOU say the XF2 Streamflex is ? If it's too fast, I'd pass on it.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I know what the Grey's site says but what action would YOU say the XF2 Streamflex is ? If it's too fast, I'd pass on it.
This is where I am at. I've read XF2 Streamflex is med-fast. Since it would be primarily a nymphing short line / high stick I don't know if a fast rod is ideal for lots of little roll casts. I also don't need a rod to throw a big rig.

Maybe my buddy will let me borrow his Hardy Marksman again (just didnt want to spend $500 to "try" something )