The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Greys rods ?

I know this is a vague question going in,,but 'in general' is what I'm looking for.
How is the quality of Grey's rods ? Craftsmanship ? Durability ? Cast'ablity ?

If it helps,,what I 'might' be considering is a 10ft, 3 or 4 wt,,prob 4,,for nymph'ing, but would want it to cast a dry with reasonable finesse.

Greys Fly - Products - Flyfishing Rods - Single Handed - XF2 Streamflex

Michael *rod fever posse
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Greys rods ?

They are very nice midpriced Asian-made rods. The Greys brand is owned by Hardy and is very comparable to Redington (which is Sage's midpriced Asian-made brand).

I have a Greys X-Flite (the previous model that the XF2 replaced) in a 9' 6 wt. It is a nice, sensitive, easy rod to cast, although it is not the 6 wt rocket launcher that you would want for tossing weighted rigs and long double-hauls into the wind. I have no experience with any 10' 4 wt, but based on the action of my X-Flite I would guess that the XF2 in a 10x4 would probably do quite nicely for high stick nymphing and delicate dry fly work -- although even the very finest 10' rod is going to be a little clumsy for finesse casting merely because of its extra length.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a review:Greys Streamflex xf2 10' 5 wt
Still pleased with this rod and use it very often
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

I have a 10' 4wt Grey's Streamflex. Right now I have a 5wt cold water Clouser line on it. I just can't say enough good things about this rod. It is a great nymphing rod and will chuck most any streamer. Like Moucheur said I don't think any 10' 4 or 5wt rod will throw a dry fly with much finesse.
Hope this helps.
Fred

Last edited by leithel; 02-14-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

i have a 9' 4wt streamflex that i love. best rod i own by far. i own 2 tfo that now set on the shelf. nothing against tfo, just love the feel of the greys-

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I have the 10' 2wt and I love it. I have only used it for "Czech" nymphing so far so I can't comment on how it casts. It is soft in the tip but has the backbone to bring in good sized fish. I have not handled heavier weights of this rod but I heard the 3wt is a lot stiffer than expected so don't base anything on how I describe the 2wt as the other sizes could feel completely different.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Not even close to the rod you're looking at .. but:

My wife has a Grey's #8 - nice rod for the money

You might look at the Allen's too - we got a couple of the 10' #3s.. but have yet to fish them
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I also have the 10' 4 wt. Streamflex. By far my favorite trout nymphing rod. Roll casts like a dream and allows me to reach the far seems with ease. If I know I am going to be nymphing all day with an outside chance at fishing dries, it is what I take. Paired with a Guru 2 and overweighted with a Rio Gold 5 weight line. Handles fish well over 20 inches and protects light tippets in the process.

Only problem I have found is the guides, which are extremely small, tend to ice up very easily in the winter.

Gary
leithel likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I also have a Greys, a Streamflex 9' 5wt. Used it last year for dries and streamers. Can't say enough how great the rod works. Nice fit and finish & case. I think you will really like the Greys rod. Very accurate casting and plays big fish very well.
Craig
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So for those of you with a XF2 Streamflex do you put standard weight lines on these or do you overline with a GPX type of line ?

The hamster is spinning the wheel in my brain bucket. Since I have a 9' 3w I'm thinking a 10' 4wt would be a nice addition for all this wintertime nymph fishing I'm doing.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson