The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis. what to believe ?

So, if a prototype is analytically field tested in the Bahamas does that impact its "all USA" status? I take Orvis and the rest at their word and there are laws that govern these sorts of matters as well. None-the-less, I regularly hear from rival brand representatives that, while in China, they saw US maker so-in-so's reels being machined to be returned to the US for fit and finish. The most recent was from an industry expert who saw rods marketed here as "Made in Korea" being assembled in China, next to HIS company's rods! I have never been to China but I've been told that by far the most gigantic fishing trade show in the world is held there annually. International tackle representatives throng the isles seeking hot product. Apparently, one locates a rod or reel, negotiates a price, discusses color and logo art, transfers money and the customized version is on a ship to the US within weeks. This is not analogous to the product development process of rolling a blank, taping on some guides and going to the pond behind the rod shop and casting it with your buddys, tweaking the taper and rolling another development sample until it is just where the rod designer wants it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw that HMH was selling a vise for less than $100 (the Silhouette), I emailed to find out if it was made in the USA. They emailed that the everything but the jaws were made in the USA. The jaws were made in China, and then HMH heat-treated and finished them in the USA. Their site doesn't say anything about where any of their vises are made now, at least not that I can see.

My Sage rods have Made in England guides, but that's fine. I still consider the rod to be made in the USA.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Back when I was in the mfg. business ('90's) if an item had its final assemble done in the U.S.A. it could be labeled as "made in the U.S.A.".
For example I worked for a large corp. that made thermostats as well as other things. The T-stats where made completely in Mexico, shipped to a wharehouse in Texas and a label was attached that listed various specs and instructions. Then it was put in a box that said the T-stat was "made in U.S.A.".
I questioned this and was adamantly told it "met the Government requirements to be labeled as such".

FWIW
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis service is second to none and you're not going to get that if involved in dubious claims about equipment. I would suggest this is simply rumor mongering from the chinese dealers.

Well, the car heater has done its magic, so its back to the river for a little more fishing before dusk... Ohh, the fish are shy today only 1 rainbow so far!

Dave
FrankB2, noreaster and double d like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the FTC guidlines concerning "Made in USA", and also "Assembled in USA". There's also a hotline number to call if you suspect fraud.
Complying with the Made in USA Standard | BCP Business Center
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

If the wood for the cork is grown on foreign soil, then phooey! That there be a stinkin' foreigner rod!

I also would make sure that the crude oil from which the epoxy resin was distilled was of U.S. origin. I want that stuff drilled straight out of ANWR or Texas. Don't want none of that Arab junk touching my rod.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
If the wood for the cork is grown on foreign soil, then phooey! That there be a stinkin' foreigner rod!

I also would make sure that the crude oil from which the epoxy resin was distilled was of U.S. origin. I want that stuff drilled straight out of ANWR or Texas. Don't want none of that Arab junk touching my rod.

LOL, best of luck in your quest!
Gary
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Oil is covered in the link I posted above:

Are raw materials included in the evaluation of whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?

It depends on how much of the productís cost the raw materials make up and how far removed from the finished product they are.

Example: If the gold in a gold ring is imported, an unqualified Made in USA claim for the ring is deceptive. Thatís because of the significant value the gold is likely to represent relative to the finished product, and because the gold ó an integral component ó is only one step back from the finished article. By contrast, consider the plastic in the plastic case of a clock radio otherwise made in the U.S. of U.S.-made components. If the plastic case was made from imported petroleum, a Made in USA claim is likely to be appropriate because the petroleum is far enough removed from the finished product, and is an insignificant part of it as well.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

gt05254
Wow now that's a comment! I guess that he's not interested in the new Hardy Zenith. English designed, Korea produced, Portuguese cork ....and so on.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post

It's a direct ship...Straight from the Eagleford Shale in south Texas to Manchester, Vermont. A glass of Texas tea with a sprinkle of Yankee Ingenuity.

Dave
Jackster likes this.