The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis. what to believe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
If the wood for the cork is grown on foreign soil, then phooey! That there be a stinkin' foreigner rod!

I also would make sure that the crude oil from which the epoxy resin was distilled was of U.S. origin. I want that stuff drilled straight out of ANWR or Texas. Don't want none of that Arab junk touching my rod.

True traditionalists won't fish with any petroleum-based product unless the oil was pumped from traditional western Pennsylvania trout country, which is after all where tradition tells us the oil industry was born.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

All of us Americans were imported from someplace at one point too. The Genie is out of the Bottle and industry is International. It is the creative process and quality of materials and execution that is of principal merit now. However, it is natural and appropriate that we favor tackle made by fly fishermen for fly fishermen. It is also a good thing that non environmentally destructive practices where employed in the manufacturing process and, if the creative products' site of production is farmed out to another country, that it is one aligned with our values of human rights and fair treatment and respect for employees. Clearly, the reason most of us express concern over fly rods and reels being fabricated in China is that it is the leading Nation in a variety of areas: most arrogantly environmentally destructive, least respect for its competitors' creative property, passionate suppressor of its own citizens human rights and, despite huge economic linkage with the US, our adversary in nearly all international venues.

One more thing. I have an acquittance that owns an up and coming fly rod business. His #6 -12 rod are built by a small shop in Korea and are very good, I am fishing his #7 as my light bonefish stick, an area of my angling that I am particularly critical about. His trout rods are made in China and actually look pretty nice but, despite his working closely with his supplier and having visited there repeatedly, I can't fish these rods for free. I feel my fly fishing time is way to valuable to use substandard equipment no matter how good a price it may be available for. Often in our forum we have a young member who can not afford an Orvis (or whichever US rod we are writing about) and it pains me that this budding fly fisher is compelled by circumstances to shop for low quality tackle from an adversarial source nation. I wish Orvis and other elite fly rod makers could offer the novice a bare bones but serviceable rod at a modest cost without resorting to Chinese sourcing. Wading boots I have given up on but rods and reels are more fundamental.

Viva SA, RIO and Cortland! If some new fly line brand made off-shore (other than Airflo) showes up at a great price...shun it!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now that was an intelligent piece of post! As for the budding young that cannot go the long bread for the new rods I would urge them to shop the aftermarket on the auction site. Many an American rod and reel are offered there every day.

Ard
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I know this thread has devolved into satire, but I listened to the Itinerant Angler podcast with Steve Hemkens (the Orvis guy for hunting and fishing) recently and he straight up said that the Access is made in Manchester, VT. Case closed in my mind.

Just in case anyone still cared.