The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all
Default Re: Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

We know the Clutch guys pretty well. We met them in Denver at the Fly Fishing show and spent some time with them during the weekend. We'll also see them again in Michigan at the fly fishing show in a few weeks. If you are in the market for a rod of this type. I would strongly suggest giving them a shot.

Lee, the owner has a great personality and a passion for his work. Clutch is doing some good stuff in Ohio.

Justin
jpbfly likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

...............................................del eted

Last edited by pegboy1; 03-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I, personally, have no issue with a rod designer working in concert with a quality rod shop to fabricate his blanks to his exacting specifications. Gary Loomis' NFC built Sam Druckman's blanks for him, before his untimely passing, for Freestone Rods. Rods as well known and respected as Hardy's Zenith/ProAxis are built to very high quality in Korea as are Tim Rajeff's ECHO series and less known but very good Rise Fly Fishing by Steve Bechard. I have never seen Flying Pig rods but based on our own Diver Dan's review of their 8-weight and the little I know, they too sound to be an intriguing new rod company building the kind of rods I would like; light, quick, powerful yet responsive...I wish Fly Pig would have a booth at Somerset next January. It is Clutch's very investment in rolling their own that made them a new company to stand up and applaud for and their 9-weight is a real-deal striped bass specialty rod.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

These rods look very nice. The price points for the trout rods seem right there with the "big boys". Has anyone put one to the test on trout waters? Love the fact the company is passionate and hands on. I enjoy seeing small companies thrive.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
clutchflyrods

Thanks those who have spoke highly of us.
-Jeff

Last edited by clutchflyrods; 03-11-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutcomegetit View Post
These rods look very nice. The price points for the trout rods seem right there with the "big boys". Has anyone put one to the test on trout waters? Love the fact the company is passionate and hands on. I enjoy seeing small companies thrive.
I have been fishing a 5 and 6 weight in Colorado this past week and they are sweet! Heavy indicator rigs to streamers work amazingly well with these rods. They are fast action rods and be prepared when fishing it for just that FAST! They have a Tom of reserve power as well but soft enough tip to protect 6x tippet. I don't leave town without mine. Here is a bow I took on the 6wt last Thursday!

Click the image to open in full size.

And a smaller fish on the 5wt yesterday!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

After rereading my last post I must say it certainly came off more than a bit negatively to say the least. This was not my intention. Like I stated before I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff and Lee from Clutch at the warren Michigan show and they were nothing less than a pleasure to talk to and seemed to have the utmost integrity regarding the Clutch concept. I also had the chance to cast more than a couple of their rods and I must say they are very very nice rods to say the least. My apologies for not putting a little more thought into my response. Sorry guys. The best of luck with the rods!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

At the price they want for them they would have to be a really good rod for an unknown maker. At least unknown to me. I have never heard of them till right now. I think to get the price they have on them and still sell a lot of them they need to have a bit more info on the site. It's kind of lacking in specifics. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice sight, but I'd like to see more than just the rod label and a reel seat. If they had a reputation like Winston they might be able to get away with a slick but vague site.

As I said, I have never heard of them till right this minute. I like to see anyone get a company off the ground in this country. Not an easy thing to do these days and getting harder by the day. Since it seems some of you know these guys, if you agree with my assessment might want to mention it to them. Maybe mention things like is it a fast or what type rod. It was pretty wordy but sounds more sales pitchish than informative. And this line, "unique blend of modulus fibers" they might want to nix altogether. There is no such thing as modulus fibers. In rods there is modulus of elasticity, but it a physics term, not a fiber. It is the most abused word in the entire fishing industry, and they are abusing it there. They at least need to rephrase it.

From the sounds of those of you cast them, sound like good rods. Unfortunately, they don't have any of that on there either. If I was going to drop a fat wad of cash like they want on a rod that wasn't a known quantity like Winston, it would have to be at least somebody I have seen good things on here or a someplace like it, and more than just a few times. Like Allen for example. I have never seen a rod from them in my life, but have read good things. I have seen more than a few of you with them in photos and I don't recall hearing anything negative. Pegboy's company same kind of thing. Never heard anything negative about his rods either, although it is not a fair comparison because I can get two Flying Pigs and reel for what they want. Plus they are no longer an unknown quantity for me any longer.

It's nice they have a "call me" option so that they can give you some of the information the site lacks. Problem is, if it's like my experience with a web site, that won't do you much good. I assume they plan to go to the boat shows in Minnesota one of these days. I need to go to one again just to see what I have missed out on in the 8 or so years since I last went to one. If they do I would like to cast one sometime.

I wish them the best of luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I too have never heard of them, but I must admit I am very intrigued by the discussion here and the website. They seem to be getting the right kind of "buzz" for a word-of-mouth product launch. And ever since reading Gary LaFontaine's justification of the "stealth" aesthetic on his line of rods I have been a fan of that approach, at least for trout fishing, and Clutch appears to be one of the very few makers today who are serious about it now that Gary is gone.

However, Dan makes some good points above. At a "best of the best" price point, there is not enough info on the website to make a persuasive case for a curious customer to risk parting with that kind of money. A buyer should have a much better sense of exactly what s/he is buying. If each model is individually designed, there needs to be more info on the design and intended purpose of each model. There need to be testimonials from users about the kinds of situations where each of the rods performs best. Their individual models need to be understandably differentiated from each other and from the competition. And especially, without an extensive local dealer network for sales support and service, there needs to be a prominently stated up-front trial offer and money-back guarantee policy. (Buried deep in the copy is a passing reference to an "industry competitive lifetime warranty", but the actual warranty terms are not stated anywhere. In any event, a "lifetime" warranty from a startup venture, without deep financial resources, selling a narrow line of highly substitutable luxury items, against far more firmly established competitors, is not really all that reassuring. When was the last time you tried to get a warranty repair on your DeLorean?)

Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-12-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Hey Pegboy, Good to see you at the show. Did this show solo, so didn't have enough time to walk around that much. I met Lee and Jeff in Denver at the first show of the year. I think they felt overwhelmed, but handled it great. It took me until my 4th year to do my first show.

They welcome suggestions and I'm sure they will look more into the website if things need to be changed. I remember having to do that several times. And we still do it. No matter how much you look at something it's better when another set of eyes look into it as well.

I've recently suggested to Lee that they should contact a few credible people for rod reviews. Those that are independent from there dealers and who have no personal connection with them. I gave them a few suggestions to look into.

They seem to be understanding with those on the fence from our conversations. They want to gain the respect and loyalty from the angler in the niche market they are tapping into. Right now I assume they would much rather like positive feedback and allow the consumer to form his/her opinion when more write ups/reviews are posted several months from now. As well, as personal interactions via email, phone, or in person.

Take care guys. See you at the next show in Vegas!

Justin