The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM

clutchrods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

Hi Guys...this is Lee Janik from Clutch Fly Rods, and I figured that now might be a good time to jump in and introduce myself and our Company to those of you who have yet to hear about us. It IS true that we are a new company in our infancy so to speak. This being said, to those of you that own your own businesses understand fully that there are many areas that need continuous attention and funding as we build our brand. The first and most important area of attention is our product itself. We are investing in the quality of the product as well as the production, and are completely focused on offering the absolute best product possible, and so far the feedback that we are receiving from industry professionals confirms that we are achieving this goal. We also fully understand that although marketing is important, we wanted to invest our time, effort, and funding in producing a solid product to build our brand on before we invested that time and money into making sure everyone knew who we were. We intend for Clutch Fly Rods to be a common name in the Fly Fishing Industry one day...and we are fully aware that it will not happen within the first year, probably won't even happen in the next few years to be honest, but we are absolutely aware of this. So, those of you that havent heard of us, we are now introducing ourselves to the forum.

As far as product "testimonials" so to speak, there will be increasing press on our product as we move forward. We currently are represented in many Fly Shops across the country, with many more on "the waiting list" to cary Clutch Products, and I am sure that we will represented in most states before the end of 2013. The response from our continuously growing dealer network has been outstanding. We would be honored for you to stop by your local shops and check us out, or ask for us if we are not already on the rod rack...honestly our product really speaks for itself, our rods are actually better salesmen than we are, and that is the reason that a fly rod at our price point is being picked up by well known and respected Fly Shops. Please be patient with us as we move forward, we have been committed to making sure our products and services are the best that they can be, before we "told the world that they were". The comments regarding our website are also on point. Our website absolutely needs updated information as it was built over 4 months ago, we have actually come a long way in that short amount of time...better product pics, testimonials from Clutch Fly Rod Owners, Clutch Dealer Lists, and technical information, etc., are all on the to-do list. So, please keep checking back for the information that you are looking for, because it should be there shortly. I can also tell you that our company is being built with customer service being as important as producing a quality product. If you send in a information request from the website, an email, or even a private message on Facebook, I promise that you will be contacted very very quickly...and if you call us, you will aslo be pleasantly surprised that we WILL answer your call if we are available, but we will also return it if you leave a message. We are in this for the long haul guys...we have a solid product, but we intended to build a solid foundation before we promised something that we couldn't deliver. Well, we can begin to promote ourselves on a larger scale now that the foundation has been built, so please keep an eye out for us...we always appreciate any feedback that you may have, so let us know your thoughts...we are always available. We thank you, and look forward to talking to you as we move forward...Lee
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lee! Thanks for your response. As I said before, your rods and your product philosophy sound most intriguing. Please realize that my comments above were meant constructively rather than disparagingly, and it sounds as though you are on the right track. Best of luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

Sounds like another great independent company. I myself like the small guys as my family has their own small business. This is why my main fly rod is from Allen fly fishing because of the great customer service and connection they make with the customer and with motives people like you guys at clutch in sure the experience will be the same!

Lee,are you guys planning on making any lower class or cheaper models?? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrods View Post
Hi Guys...this is Lee Janik from Clutch Fly Rods,
Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks Everyone! It is good to be a part of this forum, thank you for the welcome...we are very excited for things to come. And to reitterate, we are always available to answer any questions or comments in reference to our rods...we look forward to hearing from you! Lee
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Clutch - New Fly Rod Company

Hey Lee! Welcome...where abouts in Ohio are you? gatortransplant (AJ) mention a new fly rod co. on the west side of Cleveland and I have a hunkerin feeling that may be you guys. Would love to get out on the water with you and see what your rods are all about.

Greg
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Greg,
AJ is correct...he was talking about us. We are actually supposed to hook up this week, I am assuming that you also live in the area. Would love for you to give the rods a test drive...let me know how we can set it up. I look forward to meeting you. And yes, I live on the West Side of Cleveland, close to all the local Steelhead Tribs. Let me know...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Since I started this thread after meeting the gentlemen from Clutch at Somerset, I feel it necessary to comment on the position they find themselves in after submitting their 5-weight rod to George Anderson for inclusion in the "2013 5-Weight Shootout". I have long supported these shootouts as a resource for comparative data on like sized fly rods. Yes. I understand that if a rod is going to come in first, another has to be last. I am not uncomfortable, as many of you know, saying something critical about a piece of fishing tackle, however, to express criticism in a harsh, cruel and potentially business damaging way is not constructive and informative.

Most of us understand, and Anderson states this in his introduction, that simply to be included in his Shootout means the rod is in an upper echelon apart from the many inferior rods that did not even make the baseline cut. To refer to a fly rod as a "rug beater", or it should be sold at Wall Mart, or instead of Mystic it should be called Mistake...perhaps these rods should not have been written about at all.

Interestingly, I did get a 9'/#6 4 pc. Clutch and, while not the lightest rod on the market, it does not strike me as objectionably heavy. When I tested lines on it I did speculate that it might like a 1/2 size heavy RIO Grande or GPX but no, it cast better with straight #6 RIO Gold. Not only I but several highly accomplished casters lawn cast this rod with me and no one said, "This rod needs to be over lined", yet Anderson felt the 5-weight sibling needed a #7 line! My impression is this rod generates nice smooth loops and has gobs of accessible power in addition to being handsomely and tastefully built. OK, I have not compared it side-by-side with 20+ other 6-weight rods and maybe Sage or Loomis or Hardy has a rod I might feel has additional virtues, but I would not hesitate to recommend test casting the Clutch when cross-shopping for a rod in this category.

We say in our Forum occasionally that there is no point in getting personally abusive and I am embarrassed that, as a supporter and thread poster of the Shootouts and of new, small tackle companies, that language has been employed that could negatively impact the perception of a start-up rod company that should be getting support and encouragement not, "You are looking at the Looser."

[I met these guys at Somerset and liked them and their rod; I have no professional connection with them or their product.]
mcnerney and easterncaster like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

After reading George Anderson's comments (2013-5 weight shootout) I felt a little disappointed with several of his comments. This is a well respected individual in his field and many hang on his comments and advice, including myself. I can see "rug beater as an entertaining or amusing description for a stiff rod, but the comment of "looser" on the Clutch rod IMO wasn't called for. The fact that it placed last says enough. I do like to hear honest reviews from forum members but to be honest, it matters not to me that the owners are likable and passionate lads. I want to see a rod that cast well for me and is popular among the majority of the fishing community. In time, their product will speak for itself and credit will be given where it is due. I wish them the best and a bright future. What we need here is quality rod with a reasonable price tag.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lee.
From Australia WELCOME to The Forum.
As yet I haven't seen any of your Rods as they are quite new on The Market.
All the Best & I hope your Venture really goes well.
Brian.