The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default 4 piece of 2 piece rod

I have a 9 foot 7 weight rod and a 9 foot 9 weight rod. I am now thinking that I would like a lighter rod for those calm evenings on brook trout lakes.

Since I almost always fish from a sitting position from my canoe, I do want a long rod....nothing less than 8 feet long.

Should I get a 4 weight rod or a 5 weight rod? Is there a great difference between a 7 wt and a 5 wt or should I go to a 4 wt rod?

Next concerns the fact that I would like to have a rod that is more easily transported because I do a lot of portaging and I do a lot of fishing with a spinning rod and would like to bring along a fly rod that would take a lot less space than a 2 piece rod. Are the 3 and 4 piece rods as fast and light than 2 piece rods?

I don't have the budget to buy a top quality rod but I'm sure that there are some good rods out there that don't sport famous brand names and lifetime guarantees which you pay for and not need if you handle your equipment properly.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 piece of 2 piece rod

I've never fished from a canoe but I've heard people fishing from a pontoon or a float tube use longer rods...and that's I would do.
I would go for a 5wt...
I would buy a 4 p rod...
You can find lots of a good rods at a very decent price...
think you'll get more detailed answers soon
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM

whirlpool is on a distinguished road

There are many rod companies making many lengths and weights of rods. You should be able to find something that fits your perfect rod. as far as 2 or 4 pieces. A rod designed as a 4 piece can be as light and responsive as a rod designed as a 2 piece rod. The 4 piece rods I have you would never be able to tell how many pieces they are with a blindfold on. I think that the 4 piece fly rod was as good of improvement as the bread slicer.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

There are a number of rods out there that might suit your taste. I fish out of a canoe in the evenings and like an 8'-6" or better a 9' rod when sitting low to the water. I have always liked the ability to move around the edge of my lake without making alot of noise or commotion. If you find a 2pc. in a 4 or 5wt...no problem, just secure it to the canoe's cross bracing( if the canoe is long enough)! I have never tried it but it might work for you.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

if your main intrest is fishing dry flies or fairly small nymphs i would go with a four weight. if you may want to use streamers or some heavier stuff then go with a five. most all new four piece rods are nice and smooth alot of companies dont even make 2 piece rods ant more. as far as brand there are lots of good ones but a few less expensive rods i like are, st croix avid and imperial series echo rods and temple forks are all decent rods.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I would get a 5 if I were you. I did a lot of fishing from canoes in lakes and ponds years ago for big brook trout down deep with streamers, and the 5 wt is better for this than a lighter line. I also would get a 4 piece rod - they are way better than years ago.Yes, there's a good bit of difference between a 5 and a 7.

Especially with a high density sinking line, the further you can cast the better in the above situation, because your fly will be covering more productive water down deep the further you cast. More time with a fly in the zone = better chance for the bite. Also, the heavier line will be better in the wind, and there will be wind on lakes and ponds that you never even notice in small rivers and brooks.

Edit: Incidentally, I was up in Chibougamau in 1960 and caught some nice brookies up there as well as my first northern pike. They'd just opened the dirt road good enough for cars, and we made it, though we lost both rear shocks on the way in.

Good luck,

Last edited by wjc; 02-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. I feel relieved. I will go for a 5 weight rod around 8 1/2 feet long ( 8 to 9 feet ). I am quite sure that I will feel a great difference when compared to the 7 weight rod. Yes....I will definitely go with a 4 piece rod even though I can fit a 12 foot rod just inside the gunwale of my Sportspal canoe.

There are literally many thousands of small lakes in my region that are crammed full of brook trout and these lake rarely see more than 1 fisherman every year. I like hiking into these tiny lakes and fishing from a small inflatable boat when I can't carry my canoe. There are places that I go to that take 1 to 8 hours of paddling and portaging to get to. Ok....I admit that an 8 hour expedition is something I haven't done in a couple of years.

The 4 piece rod will fit real well in a pack sack when I am using my ATV or off-road bike.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Good to hear that all the lakes, ponds and brooks are still loaded with brookies. I was 14 when we went up there, and a game warden came by where we were camped next to the road. He told me and my buddy (that my folks let me take with us) to keep all the trout we could eat from the brooks because they were overpopulated.

It was a great trip - though my dad was worried about breaking an axle on the washboard road getting there.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I would go for a 5 wt, 9 foot rod - to find a 4pcs rod should be not a problem. I fish sometimes with my sit on top kayak and so I know that it is a good decision to go for a longer rod.
The Cabela´s CZN series rod could be the right one: 5wt, 10 foot long, 4 pieces.

THORSTEN
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM

jonf is on a distinguished road

You might want to look online for a Redington CT. A number of people on the forum sing their parses (myself included)... and they can be had on close out for about $90.