The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default 2 Weight Rods

I would be interested to hear your various opinions on the following question: Is a 2wt. rod (short) an appropriate rod for a beginner / novice fly caster? Will this type hamper an individual's ability to develop a proper casting stroke? What do you think? What is the right weight and rod length to start with when learning?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: 2 Weight Rods

a short 2 weight is a pretty specialized rod. not ideal to learn on.
a 9' or even 8'6" 4 or 5 wt. would be the route i'd go.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

I am not an expert caster by any means, nor have I ever fished any rod smaller than a 4wt. That being said, I will say no. The way that I was taught, The casting stroke is the casting stroke. There may need to be some variance based on the action of the rod the stroke is being applied to. The line weight should be directly applied to the size, weight and type of flies being cast. For example: I probably would not attempt to cast #6 wolly buggers with a 2wt. nor would I use double weighted nymphs with 3/4" thingamabobbers. But for light nymphs and small dries, this just may be your bread and butter! Now imho I do not believe the rod length will hinder your casting either. I believe I choose my rod length based on where I will be fishing! I would not use a 9' rod to fish small spring creeks (unless i just wanted to high stick or czech nymph), just as I would not use a 6' rod to fish big water. I would be aware that some of the lighter short rods have a very slow action and are designed to be used for roll casting more than over head casting. I would pay closer attention to the action of the rod and how it may suit the style of casting you are looking to do.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Everyone is different. There is probably someone out there who learned to cast on a light short rod, just as there is probably someone who learned on a 14' spey rod.

That said, the normal or "average" caster should probably start on a 9' 4-6 wt med-fast to fast action graphite fly rod. Thankfully, places like Cabela's and their Chinese manufacturers recognize this and offer incredibly affordable and surprisingly high performance rods to fit this bill. You can get a fly rod for $40-80 today that is better than many of the best, and most expensive, rods of the 20th century. That just amazes me.

My recommendation to a beginner with some cash is the 9' 5wt Sage Vantage. It can still be found at closeout prices for around $180. It is a fantastic rod and I think it really helped me learn to cast better.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

2 wt rods are a lot of fun, in my opinion. I have two, plus a 1 wt.
But, as others have pointed out, you're going to find many more options in the 5 wt range, 8 feet to 9 feet.
If later you decide you want to try the ultralights, you won't find switching from a 5 wt very difficult. You just have to get used to shorter casts.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not. You would be far better off starting on something like a 9' 5wt.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I would recommend a 4 or 5 weight also, around 7 1/2 to 9 feet in length.....depending on what size of streams that you fish the most.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I've given this some more thought. There is a benefit to learning on a short, moderate or soft action rod. It requires you to actually learn proper technique and timing. There is really no way to cheat the casting stroke like some modern fast action 5wts. I think that's why so many caster (myself included) don't really learn to cast until they struggled with lighter and softer tackle.

So, if the student is patient and diligent I think it can be done. But, I think a better compromise for someone insistent on learning on light tackle would be a 7-8' 3-4wt medium fast rod, like a Sage Vantage.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
No it is not. You would be far better off starting on something like a 9' 5wt.
Agree. A 2 wt. is a specialized rod; not what you're most apt to reach for in the majority of fly fishing situations. I'd start with an 8'6" or 9' 5 wt.

The recommendation on Sage's old Vantage model is a good one.

Pocono
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd go with a 9 foot 5 or 6 weight.