The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Scoop on LL Bean Fly Rods?

Their customer serive has always been really good. They make a heck of a hiking shoe, mine finally wore out after 2300+ miles on them.

On a fishing note, I kinda would like to try one of their pocket water rods thats painted to look like a bamboo rod but I dont think they had it in a length and weight combo I wanted.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

You can't ask for a better guarantee than what LL Bean provides. I've had to replace articles of clothes that did not last as expected; and a flashlight. I never had any questions asked...even though I did not have the sales slip for any of these items.

I never have had issue with any of their fly gear. For LL Bean I have 5 fly rods, 9 fly reels, 1 pair of waders, along with many fly reel and rod cases. I've always been very satisfied with their products and will always keep them in mind when looking for new gear. My only complaint, the store nearest to me no longer has much in the way of fly fishing gear. I know one can purchase easily on-line, but I want to test the rod before I purchase it. Due to this, I was kept from purchasing a couple more rods from LL Bean.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman View Post
I know one can purchase easily on-line, but I want to test the rod before I purchase it. Due to this, I was kept from purchasing a couple more rods from LL Bean.
That's where their 100% money back satisfaction guarantee comes in. If you don't like it, send it back!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
That's where their 100% money back satisfaction guarantee comes in. If you don't like it, send it back!
You're exactly right and I was going to add that in my reply, even though it's not something I personally like to do. Although that is not my habit, I have benefited from those that have returned what they didn't like. I have found many great deals at LL Beans Outlet Stores.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I ordered my combo on Tuesday and got it on Friday. The rod feels really great and the reel feels as good if not better than my Orvis.
troutnut4 and enolaeagle like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM

trout4me is on a distinguished road

You will really like your quest rod. Did you buy the rod and reel combo?
The combo is very reasonable and feels great. I wasn't sure about the quest real, being composite, but it feels pretty good.

Speaking to their warrantee and relationship with their customers....
Last summer I was on a backwoods river and broke my 15 + yr old LLBean fly rod in a canoe accident. I live in Maine, and took it into the store. It was so old that customer service didn't even know what to do. They sent me up to see the guys in the fly shop, who looked at it, asked what happened, laughed and handed me a new quest 5 wt rod - no charge.
Since then, I bought an LLBean Stream light Ultra 3 wt combo. WOW what a great feel and touch to this one. A small trout feels like a lurker.
Good Luck with your rod this summer.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I got the combo but my reel is aluminum not composite and there is no wabble. So far it feels like a good balance between the two.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

It looks like LL has gone to cast aluminum for their Quest reels instead of a composite material as in the recent past. That's a nice value for the money (although the best bang-for-your-buck in 3-5wt reels at an LL Bean store is the pocket water reel).

I really like my short, previous-generation, streamlight 4wt which I've since given to my fiance to try to hook her on fly-fishing. As others have said, LL Bean's warranty cannot be beat. Their rods seem pretty nice, but I don't hear much about the current LLs or Silver Ghosts, which are supposed to be their heritage and premium rod lines, respectively.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Does anyone know the source of these contemporary LL Bean rods? Are they built by a US rod maker under their name or imported from...where?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

China..... Clothes are from Pakistan, Vietnam, etc. It's little wonder they are able to offer a warranty on a $40 shirt that might cost them a tiny fraction of that. I should mention that I'm wearing L.L Bean slacks today.