The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Scoop on LL Bean Fly Rods?

I've been on this forum for a while now and I have learned a great deal about Sage, Orvis, St. Croix, Redington, Echo, etc.... But I haven't seen much, if anything, about LL Bean Fly Rods.... What's the scoop on LL Bean Rods and why so little love...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scoop on LL Bean Fly Rods?

Beans doesn't build their own rods, but they're contracted from some of the best manufactures.
I couldn't tell you who build the rods that they're selling now, but the 2 older ones that I have are top quality.
One is a 1980's G.Loomis, the other is a late '50s Wright&McGill 8wt. You wouldn't think an early glass rod like that could effortlessly throw a full line, but it can
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In the 1990's LL had their own fly product manager who knew a lot about rods and he worked together with Lommis to produce a very fine series of rods. They employed GLX technology but the tapers were modified and, with green blanks and hardwood reel spacers had a much more Eastern appeal. When this guy left LL Bean he went over to Orvis and for a while was their rod designer and did some very good work for them too. Bean had US made, immersion tech Gore-Tex waders with neoprene yolk suspenders at that time that actually out classed the Simms of the day. But those days are gone and now you don't hear much about LL Bean fly rods for two reasons. One is the same it has always been; you can't try them out in your local fly shop. Two, like so many a giant retailer of out door gear, they have their house brand rods made somewhat further west now than Loomis's Washington State location.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I was just about to ask the same question as I am in need of an inexpensive 4 or 5 weight to use for about 3 days a year when I go for a trout excursion. I'm looking at the Quest 2 set in either 7.6 4wt or 8.6 5 wt.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in an LLBean household...... nothing ever came from Orvis.
People of a certain age here in New England will remember it was like the Yankees/Red Sox.
Anyway, Beans has never sold anything that was junk and it was always at a (fairly) reasonable price.
Plus they go way way out of their way to make sure that you're happy. ... to the point of overkill.
I have a sleeping bag that my parents bought at Beans in 1950. I'm sure that if I brought that sleeping bag in and showed them the broken zipper, that they'd replace the whole thing, no questions asked ..... seriously
caseywise likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-18-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Well I just pulled the trigger on the quest 2 set in 8.6 5 wt and can't wait to see it.
williamhj likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I grew up in an LLBean household...... nothing ever came from Orvis.
People of a certain age here in New England will remember it was like the Yankees/Red Sox.
Anyway, Beans has never sold anything that was junk and it was always at a (fairly) reasonable price.
Plus they go way way out of their way to make sure that you're happy. ... to the point of overkill.
I have a sleeping bag that my parents bought at Beans in 1950. I'm sure that if I brought that sleeping bag in and showed them the broken zipper, that they'd replace the whole thing, no questions asked ..... seriously

i remember a few years ago, while i was reviewing beans waders (and,their warranty), reading about a guy who had purchased a backpacking compass in the early 80's from them. when it finally broke 27 years later, he brought it in and they gave him a new compass closest one to the original. no questions, no hassle at all.
thats over the top

casey

ARFE
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Bean had US made, immersion tech Gore-Tex waders with neoprene yolk suspenders at that time that actually out classed the Simms of the day.
They had to be the 'Wicked Tough Waders', were they? I got a pair of them in the 90's and abused them until the feet wore out here in Alaska in 2011. When I contacted Bean to see if they could give me the manufacturer they said that they did not know! I pressed the issue more or less asking the rep how they could have sold the waders for years but not know where they got them. He became rather flippant with me and told me that after 15 years it was time I bought new waders.

The heck of it is that the only thing wrong with the waders was that the neoprene booties were so worn that I couldn't hold them together with patches and Aqua Seal any longer. I would buy a pair of Wicked Tough Waders tomorrow if I could get them.

Never had one of their rods but they were very nice to look at and I would imagine worked very well.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
They had to be the 'Wicked Tough Waders', were they? I got a pair of them in the 90's and abused them until the feet wore out here in Alaska in 2011. When I contacted Bean to see if they could give me the manufacturer they said that they did not know! I pressed the issue more or less asking the rep how they could have sold the waders for years but not know where they got them. He became rather flippant with me and told me that after 15 years it was time I bought new waders.

The heck of it is that the only thing wrong with the waders was that the neoprene booties were so worn that I couldn't hold them together with patches and Aqua Seal any longer. I would buy a pair of Wicked Tough Waders tomorrow if I could get them.

Never had one of their rods but they were very nice to look at and I would imagine worked very well.
You had bad luck with a grumpy sales clerk.

I had a pair of their GoreTex Bomber waders (which I think was the successor model to the Wicked Tough) for 8 or 9 years. When those booties started leaking beyond the Aqua Seal stage, I took them in and asked if they could replace the booties. They said no, but offered me a full refund under their satisfaction guaranteed warranty. Since i had lost my sales slip long ago, they gave me the lowest sale price they had offered -- but it was within $10 so of the sale price they were currently offering on their top-of-the-line Helix model, so it was damn close to an even trade anyway.

(The Helix isn't made with GoreTex, but I can't tell the difference. They are still wicked tough even if they're not Wicked Tough.)

That's the second great experience I had with Bean's service on their waders. The first was when I was getting ready for a week-long trip to northern Quebec and found that a seam was leaking. They shipped me a new pair by overnight courier, told me to have a great trip, and said not to worry about completing the exchange until I got back. I won't buy waders from anyone else now. (If I ever need to again.)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i remember a few years ago, while i was reviewing beans waders (and,their warranty), reading about a guy who had purchased a backpacking compass in the early 80's from them. when it finally broke 27 years later, he brought it in and they gave him a new compass closest one to the original. no questions, no hassle at all.
thats over the topcasey
A friend of mine had some issue with the vestibule of his Timberline tent.
He called Beans up and told them that he didn't even remember where he bought it, but he usually got all his outdoor gear from them.
..They sent him a free replacement.