The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Sage Response With Litespeed Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/311217-sage-response-litespeed-reel.html)

jbman 02-18-2013 05:18 PM

Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
Hello all,

I know the Response is new but was wondering if I could get any comments on it. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 9' 5wt to go with my Litespeed 2 for trout fishing. The Response feels like it might be little heavy for the reel, but I'm new at this! Thanks!

fredaevans 02-18-2013 06:27 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
What does the reel weigh, and then you have to do a "SWAG" as to what the backing and line will add to that.

stuie675 02-18-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
I believe they are around 3 1/2 oz or something close to that. Really not to crazy heavy, I have never used that rod, but for me the only way to find out if I am going like a setup is to try it. I will either go to my local fly shop, or I will buy the rod/reel and return it if I do not like it lol

fredaevans 02-18-2013 07:00 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuie675 (Post 528237)
I believe they are around 3 1/2 oz or something close to that. Really not to crazy heavy, I have never used that rod, but for me the only way to find out if I am going like a setup is to try it. I will either go to my local fly shop, or I will buy the rod/reel and return it if I do not like it lol

Here's my 'SWAG,' you're probably pretty dead on with the 3.5 so add about .25-.33 to that for some shooting line backing and backing. The why of the .25 oz is the rest of the line will be out the tip-top and not a factor in rod balance as you cast/fish.

Just my .02 cents only, but with trout rods I'd like my reel/backing to be about 1.5 oz heavier than the rod weight. And yes, there is a good reason for that. ;)

You've probably got about 1/2 the rod weight in the lower 2 sections, the rest is sitting out there and that's what really needs to be counter balanced.

Your mileage may vary .... :D

jbman 02-18-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 528248)
Here's my 'SWAG,' you're probably pretty dead on with the 3.5 so add about .25-.33 to that for some shooting line backing and backing. The why of the .25 oz is the rest of the line will be out the tip-top and not a factor in rod balance as you cast/fish.

Just my .02 cents only, but with trout rods I'd like my reel/backing to be about 1.5 oz heavier than the rod weight. And yes, there is a good reason for that. ;)

You've probably got about 1/2 the rod weight in the lower 2 sections, the rest is sitting out there and that's what really needs to be counter balanced.

Your mileage may vary .... :D

OK, the Litespeed 2 is 3.5 oz. and the Sage Response is 3 5/16 oz. Looks like I would be a little short of reel weight by your measurements. Maybe a rod a little closer to 3 oz?

jbman 02-21-2013 05:32 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
After I got my reel loaded up, it felt really good with the Response so I got it. I can hardly wait to try it out.

coachbarak 04-16-2014 11:35 AM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
I just purchased a 8'6" Sage Response 5 wt. and I am pairing it with the Konic II from Lamson. I also purchased a Sage Approach earlier this month from Cabela's. A 9' 5 weight. I am pairing it with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access Reel. Any feedback on either set up?

fredaevans 04-16-2014 01:09 PM

Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coachbarak (Post 658558)
I just purchased a 8'6" Sage Response 5 wt. and I am pairing it with the Konic II from Lamson. I also purchased a Sage Approach earlier this month from Cabela's. A 9' 5 weight. I am pairing it with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access Reel. Any feedback on either set up?

Just a curiosity question but why two 5wt's?

fae


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.