The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM

jbman is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Response With Litespeed Reel

Hello all,

I know the Response is new but was wondering if I could get any comments on it. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 9' 5wt to go with my Litespeed 2 for trout fishing. The Response feels like it might be little heavy for the reel, but I'm new at this! Thanks!

Last edited by jbman; 02-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Response With Litespeed Reel

What does the reel weigh, and then you have to do a "SWAG" as to what the backing and line will add to that.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I believe they are around 3 1/2 oz or something close to that. Really not to crazy heavy, I have never used that rod, but for me the only way to find out if I am going like a setup is to try it. I will either go to my local fly shop, or I will buy the rod/reel and return it if I do not like it lol
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
I believe they are around 3 1/2 oz or something close to that. Really not to crazy heavy, I have never used that rod, but for me the only way to find out if I am going like a setup is to try it. I will either go to my local fly shop, or I will buy the rod/reel and return it if I do not like it lol
Here's my 'SWAG,' you're probably pretty dead on with the 3.5 so add about .25-.33 to that for some shooting line backing and backing. The why of the .25 oz is the rest of the line will be out the tip-top and not a factor in rod balance as you cast/fish.

Just my .02 cents only, but with trout rods I'd like my reel/backing to be about 1.5 oz heavier than the rod weight. And yes, there is a good reason for that.

You've probably got about 1/2 the rod weight in the lower 2 sections, the rest is sitting out there and that's what really needs to be counter balanced.

Your mileage may vary ....
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Here's my 'SWAG,' you're probably pretty dead on with the 3.5 so add about .25-.33 to that for some shooting line backing and backing. The why of the .25 oz is the rest of the line will be out the tip-top and not a factor in rod balance as you cast/fish.

Just my .02 cents only, but with trout rods I'd like my reel/backing to be about 1.5 oz heavier than the rod weight. And yes, there is a good reason for that.

You've probably got about 1/2 the rod weight in the lower 2 sections, the rest is sitting out there and that's what really needs to be counter balanced.

Your mileage may vary ....
OK, the Litespeed 2 is 3.5 oz. and the Sage Response is 3 5/16 oz. Looks like I would be a little short of reel weight by your measurements. Maybe a rod a little closer to 3 oz?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM

After I got my reel loaded up, it felt really good with the Response so I got it. I can hardly wait to try it out.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM

coachbarak is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a 8'6" Sage Response 5 wt. and I am pairing it with the Konic II from Lamson. I also purchased a Sage Approach earlier this month from Cabela's. A 9' 5 weight. I am pairing it with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access Reel. Any feedback on either set up?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbarak View Post
I just purchased a 8'6" Sage Response 5 wt. and I am pairing it with the Konic II from Lamson. I also purchased a Sage Approach earlier this month from Cabela's. A 9' 5 weight. I am pairing it with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access Reel. Any feedback on either set up?
Just a curiosity question but why two 5wt's?

fae