The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By troutnut4
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By dakotakid
  • 4 Post By Guest1
  • 3 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Matching Rod to Reel

I am considering matching an Abel Super 3N with an 8'-6" Hardy Zenith fly rod. Anybody on the forum have any experience with this combo or an opinion to offer. Rod weight is around 2.7 oz. and the reel weighs around 4.2 oz., I am guessing with a 5 WF floating it would weigh over 5 oz. Balanced or not?
djamtime likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matching Rod to Reel

There is way to much made of balance and what stuff weighs now days. I have said many times in the past that it is almost impossible to seriously toss a rod out of balance with a reel that is even slightly rated for rods somewhere in the vicinity of what the reel is for.

I have also said a seriously large number of times that what a rod weighs is being highly blown out of proportion.

Do you have either the rod or the reel now? Try it. In fact try and make the rod so out of balance you will even notice it casting and let me know what kind of monster reel it takes to do it.

If you have the rod, and don't have a giant reel, try hanging weights off the reel seat till you get it grossly out of balance. Let me know how much weight it takes.
leithel and stuie675 like this.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-19-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have also said a seriously large number of times that what a rod weighs is being highly blown out of proportion.

Do you have either the rod or the rod now? Try it. In fact try and make the rod so out of balance you will even notice it casting and let me know what kind of monster reel it takes to do it.

If you have the rod, and don't have a giant reel, try hanging weights off the reel seat till you get it grossly out of balance. Let me know how much wieght it takes.
My current thread "Deciding on a 4 wt reel" was initiated mainly to confirm if my impression that balance (reel weight) is important. Appreciated all the feedback, but was still unsure how much impact a heavier reel would have. So just as you suggested to troutnut4, I was planning to hang a heavier reel on my rod as soon as it arrives - just to see. If shaving off fractions of an ounce is not a primary consideration, expands the options significantly.

Rookies like me appreciate blunt and direct advice.

Thanks,
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is as I see it, the marketing guys have been making a big deal about this to convince people they have been using bad stuff and make them run out and drop a pile of cash on stuff they don't need. In the mean time they have gone hole drilling happy on reels to the point where you just about can't find a reel heavy enough to balance a two hand rod. And that is the only place it really does make a difference. If you don't have a heavy enough reel you have to fight to keep your rod tip out of the water while you are swinging/retrieving line. People are putting lead core on as backing, zonker lead or suspendots on the spool, just to get enough weight. Even Abel is porting the snot out of stuff now. 5 Years ago, they were the best things around with solid backs. Marketing hype may even kill the fancy paint jobs if it keeps going this way. What are you going to paint? That freakin spider web of a frame?

In fact there are some big marketing trends going right now, that I don't see as beneficial to the sport.
imxer, kayo, stuie675 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

How I buy reels is first I go off of how it looks and if I like it haha and of course if it is rated for the weight of line I am using. I personally have never had an issue, most reels for what i use which is 4-6wts are typically within an oz of each other and I do not really notice much difference.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I am considering matching an Abel Super 3N with an 8'-6" Hardy Zenith fly rod. Anybody on the forum have any experience with this combo or an opinion to offer. Rod weight is around 2.7 oz. and the reel weighs around 4.2 oz., I am guessing with a 5 WF floating it would weigh over 5 oz. Balanced or not?
If it were me I'd consider the Super 4N. I've fished a 4N on my 486-4 Sage ZXL and my 490 4 Z-Axis. Perfect match IMO.

I agree with DD on the overstated conversations on weight. I've experienced a reel that was too heavy on a short rod - a Solid Back/Solid Spool Abel 0 on a 7'3" 3 wt. It just simply threw the entire thing out of whack. But for the most part, balance has never been an issue for me on any of my rods.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I prefer a reel to be a little on the heavy side than too light. Even on a single handed little trout rod I dislike the sensation of gravity wanting my tip to drop when I am just standing there waiting for the fish rise again. Some current reels are so skeletonized that they are too light for their designated line size and I have to got up a size to get the feel I like. No mater, I have never been a fan of diminutive reels anyway. Another concern is, when I attended Somerset a few weeks ago, many of the super light weight reels also lacked torsional rigidity. A few I handled felt like I could crush them in my hands. I do like rods with low perceived swing weights as long as sufficient power is built into them but some of the newer reels have really gone overboard in the too light and too flexible direction.

PS: Chi, did you check out the CFO "T" pillar image I posted for you in the old CFO thread?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
PS: Chi, did you check out the CFO "T" pillar image I posted for you in the old CFO thread?
I did, thanks. That clarified it for me.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some current reels are so skeletonized that they are too light for their designated line size and I have to got up a size to get the feel I like.
If you drop one, they are toast. Bigger is better for balance than smaller, but virtually any reel that they haven't gone insanely porting happy on, will balance any rod. You need to try and make one not do it.

From a different thread on the same overly debated subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think what you are describing is weight and not balance. I agree it's easier to cast something light all day, but as far as that being a function of balance, not so much.

See where that rod actually balances with both reels and I'll bet it is within far less than an inch of each other.

OK, I took the biggest and smallest reel I own and put them on my lightest rod weight wise. My 7 wt. Winston. This rod wieghs less than my older 5 and 6 weight rods. Here are the reels I used. The big one is a Tibor 13/14/15 wt. reel loaded with a Carron Jetstream long belly line. It weighs 1 lb. 11 oz. with the line reeled all the way in. It is 5" across and is grossly oversized for this rod. The small one is the tiniest reel I own with a line on it. You get the idea with the two together. It is grossly undersized for the rod.
Click the image to open in full size.

The line is reeled in all the way, making this as exagerated as possible. Note that with the monster Tibor, it balances on one finger well to the mid grip. People confuse heavy with balance. This reel balances well within where you could use it with your hand on the grip.

The teeny tiny reel, balances off the grip to the forward, but not to the point it would make it hard to use.

In order to get a rod/reel so out of balance that it would be a pain, you need to try really hard to do it. If you are going to make it where it is off in an annoying manner, get the smallest reel you can find. This whole going lighter and lighter is going the wrong way for balance. For weight you are swinging all day then sure, but that is not balance. That is weight. Hence the TWO terms.
imxer likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
I prefer a reel to be a little on the heavy side than too light. Even on a single handed little trout rod I dislike the sensation of gravity wanting my tip to drop when I am just standing there waiting for the fish rise again. Some current reels are so skeletonized that they are too light for their designated line size and I have to got up a size to get the feel I like.
`

This is my feeling as well. As long as the rod is not tip heavy (within reasonable bounds) I don't worry about it.