The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 7'6" Sage ZXL, in 4 wt????

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The ZXL line is the successor to the old LL line, and has a gentler action than the Z-Axis, its faster cousin from the same generation of models.

I haven't compared the two side-by-side, but I would guess that the 7'6" 4 LL and the 7'6" 4 ZXL are pretty similar and designed for the same conditions, except that the ZXL comes in 4 pieces rather than 2.

So if that's the case, the reason to get a ZXL is for those times when you want to break it down small and go bushwhacking into remote spots, or when you want to take it on a plane, or if you just can't pass up a bargain, or if you just like the allure of something newer. Otherwise your LL is doing pretty much the same job already.

(On the other hand, there is the old rule of thumb is that the number of rods that you really need is one more than you have right now.)
Two completely different rods.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, the ZXL is the successor to the SPL, which in turn, was the heir to the SP, which I think was the decendent of my old RPL.

But heck, what do I know?

I just can't get my head around a 7'6" ZXL. No matter how much I dwell on it the length just doesn't match the wt for my purposes.

I think at this point, I will buy her 9', 4 piece, 5wt, ZXL. She is asking a $100.00 more for this rod, but I believe it is more practical for my uses, and at $250.00 it is still not a bad deal for a rarely used rod.

Respects,

Richard

Last edited by Meatco1; 02-19-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

You can't go wrong with those prices on any ZXL. But I see your point about the 7'6". I would definitely prefer one that costs more but expands my range, over one available at a deeper discount that I didn't anticipate using. Especially if they are both pretty sharply discounted!
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Well first off for $150 buy it, you can always sell it for that if not more.

I fish a ZXL in the 7'6" 3wt version and it is my dry fly rod. It has enough backbone to not be considered slow but it also can really delicately place a dry fly where you want it. I have the 7'10" TXL in 3wt and that is more my dry dropper, smaller nymph rigs on small stream rods. I have landed 15" browns regularly on it no problem what so ever.

I personally love the ZXL and even cast the new circa by sage and thought while its a beauty it isn't $700 better than the ZXL.

Just my $.02 and I'm a gear junkie but for $150 I'd grab it in a heart beat.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
As far as I know, the ZXL is the successor to the SPL, which in turn, was the heir to the SP, which I think was the decendent of my old RPL.

Richard
The ZXL followed the SLT, not the SP. The SLT was built during the same run as the IIIe Graphite XP. You could say it's similar to the ZXL being built with the Generation 5 Technology during the same run as the Z-Axis. The SPL was not the heir to the SP, they were built the same time. Similar logic applies to the SLT/XP; ZXL/Z-Axis. The SPL was, the SP "Light". Similar to the RP and the RPL, VPS/VPS Light.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

You know the adage, " a woman will buy a $2 item she doesn't need because it is on sale for $1 but a man will pay $2 for a $1 item because he needs it". Well I propose you get in touch with your feminine side and just buy the rod. You will fined you really did need it after all!
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
You know the adage, " a woman will buy a $2 item she doesn't need because it is on sale for $1 but a man will pay $2 for a $1 item because he needs it". Well I propose you get in touch with your feminine side and just buy the rod. You will fined you really did need it after all!
Couldn't agree more! I just bought a reel that I may find a use for some day... but I just couldn't pass up the price.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And I have begun to look for a reel for a rod I don't have yet (but anticipate)...all I have is the line, the new Cortland Boss in #5 that the outfit will be built around. I really look forward to fishing this newest entry into my preferred fly line catagory.