The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Question 7'6" Sage ZXL, in 4 wt????

I'm wondering what this rod is designed for. Fast rod, short stick.

For me, I use an old 4wt LL in 7'6" on brush choked "step over" creeks, works great as there is no casting room to speak of, and its soft action is a real joy to use in tight quarters.

For our bigger rivers (and lakes) I use 8'6" - 9' rods in various weights. Sage SP, RPL, Z-Axis, & One (yeah, I'm a Sage nut), depending on conditions & and other factors.

So, I guess I would like to know the purpose of this rod, in other words what water is it designed for.

The reason ask, is one has been offered to me for a very reasonable price, but I can't think of a use for it.

Tell me what I'm missing here.

Respects,

Richard
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7'6" Sage ZXL, in 4 wt????

Solutions without related problems are troubling. My wife would just buy it and figure out a use later. Maybe that logic could work for you?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

I am huge fan of the ZXL series and am searching for a 8'6" 5 weight to match the 8' & 8'6" 4 wghts. You have a great small stream rod in the LL series but the ZXL may be slightly stronger and accomdate better dry/nymph combos than the LL which I imagine is great dry fly rod. I find the 8' version a superb multi purpose small stream rod but can throw streamers if needed. Again it comes down to your deal if in my opinion you can find one new for 300-350 unfished jump on it Used but great shape under 300 go for it. Now if anyone wants to trade or sell the 8'6" 5 version?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Actually, it is offered to me for $150.00. But, like Mikel stated, "a solution without a problem" might not be the answer for me.

These small creeks I visit, lead into Beaver ponds, and I once landed a 4.5 lb Brookie there. My LL, while doing a bit of flexing (ok, ok, maybe more than a bit), worked just dandy.

As you can see, I'm looking for a reason to buy this, but it would be much easier decision were it a 8'6" rod.

Still trying to justify a 4 wt, in a 7'6" ZXL.

Last edited by Meatco1; 02-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Great price but I see your point as while it may be newer and definitely med/fast action than the LL you have an awesome classic Sage series. Is the LL in four pieces like the ZXL? If that makes a difference ?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Although I am not familiar with Sage rods I have a suggestion for use of a rod like this; short & fast.

I have a 6'3" rod modeled on the old 6'3" 'Stealth Rod' offered by T&T about 20 years ago. It is made with a Lamiglass graphite blank and it is fast. Generally I use a 6'6" bamboo flea rod on small creeks and there is of course a great difference between this stiff graphite and the limber cane. What I learned is this; the graphite can be used even for dry flies if you want but requires more in the timing skills and control department than the cane rod does. While it is not as easy going as the soft cane or a glass rod it can handle a large fish and once I took up residence here large fish surprising you in a small creek is normal.

I may have digressed a little there and hope I didn't lose the point I'm trying to make. Let's try another example; back in 1994 I had that short stiff 6'3" with me as an emergency back up while fishing the Kennebec River for landlocked salmon. There was an occurrence and my #1 rod had an inch including the tip top broken from it. Out came the stiff - short rod, what I found was nothing short of a surprise. Not only could you manage a streamer or dry on a tiny creek but you could double haul a 5 weight line until you were nearly into the backing. For swinging marabou muddlers tied on #4 hooks on big water the rod worked. It also hauled in some wonderful fish without a hitch.

The whole point I was trying for was that a short stiff / fast rod can be an asset so if the price is right and you have the dough, get it.

Ard

Here's a fish maybe 4.5 pounds or so that I hauled in while fishing a small stream for trout with the short fast rod just last fall. It is a silver salmon that has begun to turn to spawning color.
Click the image to open in full size.

Buy the rod.........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I fish one of the old school RPL Sage's in a 5wt. 7'6". I love it for small rivers and large streams. Actually I use it everywhere, small ponds and other waters. I love the thing. All my rods except 2 are 8 foot and under. I have never really needed a super long cast where I fish.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastrout View Post
Great price but I see your point as while it may be newer and definitely med/fast action than the LL you have an awesome classic Sage series. Is the LL in four pieces like the ZXL? If that makes a difference ?
No, it's a two piece rod. I'm not even sure Sage made a 4pc in the 7'6" LL, at least in the first generation.

Ard, I don' think I want to hook up a bigger Brookie with my LL, as I might have misspoke a little in my earlier post. Catching a 4.5 lb Brookie in a small Bever pond, choked with brush on all sides, with the 4wt 7'6" LL was more like a rodeo than I ever could have imagined!!

"I may have digressed a little there and hope I didn't lose the point I'm trying to make. Let's try another example; back in 1994 I had that short stiff 6'3" with me as an emergency back up while fishing the Kennebec River for landlocked salmon. There was an occurrence and my #1 rod had an inch including the tip top broken from it. Out came the stiff - short rod, what I found was nothing short of a surprise. Not only could you manage a streamer or dry on a tiny creek but you could double haul a 5 weight line until you were nearly into the backing. For swinging marabou muddlers tied on #4 hooks on big water the rod worked. It also hauled in some wonderful fish without a hitch."

Now this is something I never would have thought of. Though I have plenty of "backup" rods, taking a short stiff rod with a spare reel, lined heavier is an interesting idea.

I'm still mulling this over, as the price is outstanding (and I hate to pass up a good bargain, at anytime!)

In any case, I have to make up my mind sometime this evening, as she asked me to get back to her this tonight.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respects,

Richard
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by Meatco1; 02-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

My advice: buy the rod now. Find a use for it later. If it doesn't fit in with your fishing style then you can always pass the same great deal along to someone else, who will no doubt find good use for it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
No, it's a two piece rod. I'm not even sure Sage made a 4pc in the 7'6" LL, at least in the first generation.
The ZXL line is the successor to the old LL line, and has a gentler action than the Z-Axis, its faster cousin from the same generation of models.

I haven't compared the two side-by-side, but I would guess that the 7'6" 4 LL and the 7'6" 4 ZXL are pretty similar and designed for the same conditions, except that the ZXL comes in 4 pieces rather than 2.

So if that's the case, the reason to get a ZXL is for those times when you want to break it down small and go bushwhacking into remote spots, or when you want to take it on a plane, or if you just can't pass up a bargain, or if you just like the allure of something newer. Otherwise your LL is doing pretty much the same job already.

(On the other hand, there is the old rule of thumb is that the number of rods that you really need is one more than you have right now.)