The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Rod Length Controversy (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/311389-rod-length-controversy.html)

troutnut4 02-20-2013 10:27 AM

Rod Length Controversy

I recently read an interesting article in "Mid Current" regarding the difference (slight), that length makes in a fly rod. The article was written by Philip Monahan and he interviewed a number of experienced people including some that you might recognize depending on your location. This might be interesting to you as well and your comments to the article are welcome.:welcomean
The site is Mid Current Fly Fishing and the address is news@ midcurrent.com

moucheur2003 02-20-2013 11:53 AM

Re: Rod Length Controversy

Here's a link to it. I had to search around for a while because it's not in MidCurrent's "news" section, it's in the "ask the experts" section:

What’s the Right Length for a Trout Rod? | MidCurrent

Once I started reading it I realized I had read it before. It's been up on their site for a while.

I tend to agree with the Orvis guy who said that the 8' 6" is often the sweetest rod in any particular series, because it has the right combination of both length for line control and lightness for balance. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best for any particular purpose, though. As you go longer than that you are adding more material to the stiffest, heaviest part of the butt section, which makes for a clumsier rod, but you will gain reach and mending ability. As you go shorter you may gain finesse and delicacy, but you will lose distance.

Tom Morgan, the legendary former rod designer at Winston, offers his own thoughts on rod length and line size here:

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Yellowstone Country Water

fyshstykr 02-20-2013 02:11 PM

C'mon everyone KNOWS longer is better!:D

Liphookedau 02-20-2013 04:23 PM

Back to the Old Story "Horses for Courses".
I have at Present Rods from 7'9" to 10ft,they are of course for different applications,I am in The process of Building a 10'6' Switch Rod,even though i find difficulties in Netting Fish with my 10' Rods I am curious to see how they go over here..
For years I used an Old Heavy Fibreglass in a 9'6" then I moved back to an early 8'6" Carbon Fibre,now with The introduction of Light High Modulus Carbon Fibre as Larry Kennedy mentioned The Longer Rods have become Lighter I find The best length for my style of Fishing to be 9'6".
Many people now use The Switch & The Spey Rods because they are not only Lighter Than The Old Salmon Rods of yesteryears,greater Length Casts Can be still Made,larger Flies are mainly used,more Water can be covered & made axcessable.
Brian.

imxer 02-23-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fysh (Post 529019)
C'mon everyone KNOWS longer is better!:D

John,

You mean it's not how you use it ? :confused:

fyshstykr 02-23-2013 07:38 PM

A longer rod and an Orvis shirt are magic!:D

rubberguy 02-23-2013 08:15 PM

as long as it's a "2 hander"....

fly_guy12955 02-23-2013 08:21 PM

I'll just say I believe you guys,,,till you start talking about 'fast recovering tips',,,,them I'm'a gonna call you on it LOL

Guest1 02-23-2013 08:52 PM

That lightness they are talking about in the difference between 8' 6" and 9' is nonsense. In fact I don't believe for a second that an 8' 6" in any series of rods will out perform the 9' unless they just botched the rod in some unimaginable way. And yes, longer is better. Longer and longer and no I am not compensating for anything! :D

attila 02-24-2013 11:15 AM

I've learned to use the longest rod I can reasonably get away with. The pros outweigh the cons IMO. :)