The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rod Length Controversy

I recently read an interesting article in "Mid Current" regarding the difference (slight), that length makes in a fly rod. The article was written by Philip Monahan and he interviewed a number of experienced people including some that you might recognize depending on your location. This might be interesting to you as well and your comments to the article are welcome.
The site is Mid Current Fly Fishing and the address is news@ midcurrent.com
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod Length Controversy

Here's a link to it. I had to search around for a while because it's not in MidCurrent's "news" section, it's in the "ask the experts" section:

What’s the Right Length for a Trout Rod? | MidCurrent

Once I started reading it I realized I had read it before. It's been up on their site for a while.

I tend to agree with the Orvis guy who said that the 8' 6" is often the sweetest rod in any particular series, because it has the right combination of both length for line control and lightness for balance. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be the best for any particular purpose, though. As you go longer than that you are adding more material to the stiffest, heaviest part of the butt section, which makes for a clumsier rod, but you will gain reach and mending ability. As you go shorter you may gain finesse and delicacy, but you will lose distance.

Tom Morgan, the legendary former rod designer at Winston, offers his own thoughts on rod length and line size here:

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Yellowstone Country Water
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon everyone KNOWS longer is better!
shotgunfly likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Back to the Old Story "Horses for Courses".
I have at Present Rods from 7'9" to 10ft,they are of course for different applications,I am in The process of Building a 10'6' Switch Rod,even though i find difficulties in Netting Fish with my 10' Rods I am curious to see how they go over here..
For years I used an Old Heavy Fibreglass in a 9'6" then I moved back to an early 8'6" Carbon Fibre,now with The introduction of Light High Modulus Carbon Fibre as Larry Kennedy mentioned The Longer Rods have become Lighter I find The best length for my style of Fishing to be 9'6".
Many people now use The Switch & The Spey Rods because they are not only Lighter Than The Old Salmon Rods of yesteryears,greater Length Casts Can be still Made,larger Flies are mainly used,more Water can be covered & made axcessable.
Brian.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
C'mon everyone KNOWS longer is better!
John,

You mean it's not how you use it ?
fysh likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A longer rod and an Orvis shirt are magic!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

as long as it's a "2 hander"....
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'll just say I believe you guys,,,till you start talking about 'fast recovering tips',,,,them I'm'a gonna call you on it LOL
fysh likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That lightness they are talking about in the difference between 8' 6" and 9' is nonsense. In fact I don't believe for a second that an 8' 6" in any series of rods will out perform the 9' unless they just botched the rod in some unimaginable way. And yes, longer is better. Longer and longer and no I am not compensating for anything!
attila likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

I've learned to use the longest rod I can reasonably get away with. The pros outweigh the cons IMO.
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.