The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: impact of rod color?

It has nothing to do with rod color whatsoever. It's all in the hat you wear.
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but unless this is an attempt at satire then I am completely lost. Maybe it's me and I'm not getting the American sense of humor

You make the perfect cast and presentation, the fish rises to the fly and says, oh no the rod colour is wrong, turn away
Eddie: The guys are just having some fun, nothing serious here at all! You can tell we are all getting a little cabin fever with the long winter.
imxer and Eddie O'Neill like this.

Larry
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I take each rod to our Priest and have him perform the Roman Catholic Rites of Exorcism.

Fishing is a hell'va business anyways.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Eddie: The guys are just having some fun, nothing serious here at all! You can tell we are all getting a little cabin fever with the long winter.
I did kind of guess that I was not getting the American humor, thanks for the clarification.

By the way, IMHO, it's not the rod or the hat colour, but the colour of your waders
Oh and yes, Cabin fever is setting in for me also
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Eddie,

It's all humor, you can tell by the way I'm smiling and what I had to say in the post I made earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Mike,

Good points your making with this topic. I have found that rod color and a well coordinated attire are mostly species specific. I use dark grey rods for my trout C&R as well as grayling fishing. The earth tone of cane is best used on the days when I really don't care what I catch.

Olive green; now that's the big fish color. I kid you not Combine olive green with the proper wader and jacket colors and you can knock them dead. If I were taking you fishing I would offer you one of my black & camo with the barbed wire graphic Chevy caps to wear also. I have 2 of them that the dealer gave me when I got the truck.

These fish were dead when photographed but I released a total of 13 during the 3 day time span of the three pictures. I wore the clothing and used the olive Spey rod each day.

Click the image to open in full size.

This catching went on for the remainder of the season and I wore the same cloths and cap and I slept with the olive Spey rod. I don't know for sure how many fish were caught and released but I took 3 for food they were 33 - 34 and 42 pounds.

I have found that for whatever reason when I used a gloss black 1981 Hardy Spey with scarlet whippings last year all of the fish were smaller. I caught more of them but they were no doubt smaller. I also wore an old black cap with a red North Face logo on it, strange. This spring I am going back with the olive blanks on a new Hardy Marksman 2 'T' series rod and wearing the Chevy cap and Filson jacket. Time will tell if I am onto something here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I feel for the poor Scott confused by Yanks obsession with fly rod color. He, after all, comes from a serious country where they put the label on the Famous Grouse upside down so it will read correctly at the public house when a dram is pulled. In fact, I think I'll join you for a couple, Eddie.

Now an old chum of mine used to build rods from graphite blanks but would paint them a rich bamboo tan. From a little distance he expected, other Catskill fly fishers would see him casting his little cane rod huge distances. "Man alive, there is I gentleman that can really get the most out of fine cane, he expected the old timer downstream would be thinking.
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

For years I've pondered the question, "Why don't dogs fly fish?" This thread points out the overlooked obvious...dogs are color blind. If they don't know what color the rod is, how do they know how to fish it? That would suck all the joy out of it.

Small wonder they prefer fetching sticks.
mikel and yonder like this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Good points your making with this topic. I have found that rod color and a well coordinated attire are mostly species specific. I use dark grey rods for my trout C&R as well as grayling fishing. The earth tone of cane is best used on the days when I really don't care what I catch.

Olive green; now that's the big fish color. I kid you not Combine olive green with the proper wader and jacket colors and you can knock them dead. If I were taking you fishing I would offer you one of my black & camo with the barbed wire graphic Chevy caps to wear also. I have 2 of them that the dealer gave me when I got the truck.

These fish were dead when photographed but I released a total of 13 during the 3 day time span of the three pictures. I wore the clothing and used the olive Spey rod each day.

This catching went on for the remainder of the season and I wore the same cloths and cap and I slept with the olive Spey rod. I don't know for sure how many fish were caught and released but I took 3 for food they were 33 - 34 and 42 pounds.

I have found that for whatever reason when I used a gloss black 1981 Hardy Spey with scarlet whippings last year all of the fish were smaller. I caught more of them but they were no doubt smaller. I also wore an old black cap with a red North Face logo on it, strange. This spring I am going back with the olive blanks on a new Hardy Marksman 2 'T' series rod and wearing the Chevy cap and Filson jacket. Time will tell if I am onto something here.

Ard

I never tire of seeing the monsters you catch Ard! Is that the Little Su?

We're thinking of 2014 for a return visit.

And just so all of you know.....your all wrong, it matters not the color, or LENGTH of the rod, nor the hat or shirt color.....it's all in the formula and whether you got any!
imxer and littledavid123 like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I feel for the poor Scott confused by Yanks obsession with fly rod color. He, after all, comes from a serious country where they put the label on the Famous Grouse upside down so it will read correctly at the public house when a dram is pulled. In fact, I think I'll join you for a couple, Eddie.
You are welcome Sir, however I'd say we would be better with a Bottle of Islay, they don't get put on the rack, so the label is always the right way up.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Eddie,

It's all humor, you can tell by the way I'm smiling and what I had to say in the post I made earlier
Now I know, maybe I'll put some Scottish Humor up, that will definitely confuse you guys
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

You might say that this thread is becoming unraveled.