The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 AM

thredbo is on a distinguished road
Default St Croix Legend Elite

Hello Guys,

I'm from Australia and am considering buying a St Croix Legend Elite 5 weight, however as they are not sold here, I don't have an opportunity to try before I buy so can someone tell what they are like, and if possible relate it to some of the rods I know.

I currently own a St Croix Legend Ultra 6 weight which I love and a G. Loomis Metolius 5 weight, nice rod but I feel its a little undergunned. Have cast the Streamdance GLX HLS in a 5 weight, a very nice rod and I've also cast two sages a 6 weight XP and a 5 weight Z-Axis, the Z was great but the XP is a little too fast for my liking.

Regards,
Robert
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: St Croix Legend Elite

Hi thredbo,

The Legend Elite is made with SCV graphite and will be a faster action than the Legend Ultra you now have. Ultra is a smooth casting rod and I wonder if you will like the Elite as much. Especially since you found the XP to fast.

Being in Australia I don't know if I would buy a rod that I have not cast. If you like the Sage Z-Axis rod that would be my choice.

Have you checked out a TFO TiCr rod. It is not a pretty rod and a little on the heavy side but it is a great casting fast action rod with big guides. They are sold in Australia and will save you some money.

All things considered, my first choice would be the Sage Z-Axis.

Frank
Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 PM

markwaldin is on a distinguished road

I build custom rods with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the rod for any reason you can return it to me for money back. I know this sounds like a commercial (I guess it kind of is) but I really think I am addressing your issue. I carry Sage, St Croix and Loomis. I agree that the Sage Z-Axis is a very nice rod, very sweet.

Mark Waldin
Custom Fly Rod
Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwaldin View Post
I build custom rods with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the rod for any reason you can return it to me for money back. I know this sounds like a commercial (I guess it kind of is) but I really think I am addressing your issue. I carry Sage, St Croix and Loomis. I agree that the Sage Z-Axis is a very nice rod, very sweet.

Mark Waldin
Custom Fly Rod

That is very cool Mark. RIGHT ON
Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm hearing that the new Sage ZXL is quite a sweet stick as well. One review said it was nearly as fast/powerful, but not as stiff as the z-axis.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 AM

thredbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up buying a Z-Axis.