The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
With the current offering yes. They have had other rod/reel combos with their lifetime membership offering in the past. I'm sure at some point they will change the offering again.
Yes, but it will never be to an 8wt. Delicate little trout...

Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I checked out TU's website a month ago and the offering then was a Scott fly rod, I believe a 8'6" 5wt G2 with a Hatch reel, so the offerings do change every few months.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I cast a 9'0" 5 wt. One when they first came out in the Summer of 2010. I cast it side-by-side with my Sage Z-Axis and, in the end, I kept the Z-Axis and let the One go. I think I posted a short review on the One back at that time.

Last Winter for a project, I built a Sage One 6 wt.; for heavier streamer fishing and when the wind picks up. It's a very nice blank.

Pocono
George Anderson compared the ONE with Hardy's Zenith, and wasn't excited about the Sage until they got to the 6-weight: Sage One Fly Rod Review - Yellowstone Angler

I've thought for a long time that not all rod designs would work well in all weights. That's based on actually fishing some of Sage's rods in various weights, and wondering, "Why did they ever make this rod in that weight?"

That's not to say the ONE in a 5wt isn't going to be a fantastic rod. I have zero experience with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
George Anderson compared the ONE with Hardy's Zenith, and wasn't excited about the Sage until they got to the 6-weight: Sage One Fly Rod Review - Yellowstone Angler

I've thought for a long time that not all rod designs would work well in all weights. That's based on actually fishing some of Sage's rods in various weights, and wondering, "Why did they ever make this rod in that weight?"

That's not to say the ONE in a 5wt isn't going to be a fantastic rod. I have zero experience with them.
Frank - The guys who own the fly shop I frequent are of the opinion that the 6 wt. is the best of the bunch.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for the input and links.

Sounds like I won't be retiring the Helios. If the action of the ONE is the least bit different, maybe a bit stiffer/zippier, I can use it as a streamer rod.

I looked at the Winston and Scott when they were offered, but both of those were considered 'medium/midflex actions' so I felt that was too close to the Helios. I never casted either a Scott or a Winston, I know different manufacturers have different actions, although they try and use the same terminology to describe actions.

I also picked up a CF Burkheimer Vintage DAL trout 9' 5wt. It's their full flex rod. I wanted something in the same length as my Helios but a slower action. I like to change things up now and again.

I think that'll do it for 9' 5wts.
mcnerney likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

How do you like that fine full flex rod ? I bet that is a sweetheart.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I have a sage one 9-6, 5 wt. I love it. I can cast further with much less effort compared to my other rods. As with so many things in fly fishing, opinions vary greatly from one individual to another. I have always been a Winston guy, but this new Sage One has impressed me. I have had great success throwing indicators as well as dropping tiny 24s to rising trout. The extra distance I can get has actually opened up much water that I have previously had to pass on for being out of range.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Thanks everyone for the input and links.

Sounds like I won't be retiring the Helios. If the action of the ONE is the least bit different, maybe a bit stiffer/zippier, I can use it as a streamer rod.

I also picked up a CF Burkheimer Vintage DAL trout 9' 5wt. It's their full flex rod. I wanted something in the same length as my Helios but a slower action. I like to change things up now and again.

I think that'll do it for 9' 5wts.
I think you will like the Burkheimer. I have the 595-4 and it is my favorite single hand rod. I have not cast the 590, but I sold my Sage ZXL and XP once I bought the 595 and fished with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
How do you like that fine full flex rod ? I bet that is a sweetheart.
I wish I had the full flex burkie yesterday. I was fishing some tight spots on a local spring creek and would have liked a rod that loaded with less line on it.

Alas, I'll have to wait a couple more weeks. I ordered probably a week and half ago.

From what I've read I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Shotgunfly, In reading my earlier reply and mini-review of ONE #5, do not get the wrong impression...the Helios has not been imagined that fishes in the same league as ONE. Nor is ONE a streamer rod; it is the most technical dry fly rod extant. As I said, I continue to thoroughly enjoy fishing Z- or Zenith but, if I am getting serious, ONE has no peers. I too have heard that the "sweet spot" in the ONE line-up is the #'s 6 & 7, this is due in part to the heavier lines being more obvious in the rods communication. The #5 is, again, in a class by itself.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Oh, and rig it with #5 RIO Gold (new version) this is the line the rod was designed to use and my tests using alternatives confirm this. It will cast a Grande or XPS fine but they rob ONE of some of its scalpal-like precision.
shotgunfly likes this.