The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

I just paid for my trout unlimited lifetime membership and for doing so get a new Sage One rod and 2050 reel. I've only fished Helios rods and figured a 9'5 'fast action' wouldn't be redundant.

I have no experience with them and am looking for any input from current SAGE owners. I haven't been able to find any forum threads discussing the ONE. If anyone knows where one is please pass it on.

Will I ever go back to Orvis rods?

Thanks in advance.
fysh likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

I have no experience with the One myself, but this may help:

Sage One Fly Rod Review - Yellowstone Angler
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I just got one and am waiting to try it out.

There is a good review by Creeker in the gear review section , it is a few pages

Sage One 390 w/Sage 4230 reel
Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Not to take this off topic, but what is the Trout Unlimited membership?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

According to my buddy.... no you will never go back to the Orvis. He said his Sage "One" is the truest tracking, line blasting rod he has ever fished. He hooked up a 30 lb. King on his 8 wt. a couple of week ago and said " I turned the rod into a Hula Hoop". He landed the King with no problems.

I usually believe that all the hype is just marketing, but in this case it may be justified. Hope so as I am starting a new build on a Sage "One" Switch 7116-4 next week.

Pete
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Sage One 10 ft 5 wt that I bought primarily as a nymphing rod. As Pete says it is is "the truest tracking, line blasting rod he has ever fished", but that being said, I don't think it is any better or worse than the Helios, maybe in the hands of a true master caster you could see the difference, but for me they are both excellent casting rods. I really like the way the One can bomb casts out and the accuracy it has, but it is a stiff rod that takes some real care when setting the hook. It is real easy to get over excited and set the hook a little too aggresively and bang you just broke the fish off. I lost count of the number of fish I broke off when I first got it, but I was determined to get used to how it handled. I fished with it all last year and have gotten used to that idiosyncrasy. Maybe the One would be a better rod in the heavier sizes like an 8 wt.

Larry
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I cast a 9'0" 5 wt. One when they first came out in the Summer of 2010. I cast it side-by-side with my Sage Z-Axis and, in the end, I kept the Z-Axis and let the One go. I think I posted a short review on the One back at that time.

Last Winter for a project, I built a Sage One 6 wt.; for heavier streamer fishing and when the wind picks up. It's a very nice blank.

I, too, just joined Trout Unlimited as a Life Member and I'm waiting for the delivery of the 9'0" 4 piece 5 wt. One and the Sage reel that they're putting together with it (they say it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the gear). Frankly, as you know, the retail value of the gear is almost the cost of the Lifetime membership.

As Larry has said, the Helios is also a very good rod and I don't think that there will be anything about the Sage One that will make you want to retire you Helios. And, of course, you still need a back-up rod; for whichever one becomes your favorite........................

Pocono
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I think you'll be happy with the rod. I have cast them before and its a very nice rod. I join the TU lifemember program a couple years ago and got the TCX and honestly I'd rather have the ONE over the TCX.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

If you join TU as a lifetime member right now, they'll give you a 5wt Sage One and a Sage reel (2050 I think).

It's a fantastic deal. The value of that gear is almost the price of the membership...very tempting. I wish it was a 7wt.

It's probably too fast for me anyway, I like my medium action rods.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
Not to take this off topic, but what is the Trout Unlimited membership?

Home | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.