The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St.Croix Avid Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.
I have an Avid 7' 3wt as well.

I asked if anyone had a UL they'd be willing to let go really cheap to an old Disabled Vet, who wanted to try UL.

Considereing I had never used anything but a Traditional II 9' 5wt from Cabelas.

& this very generous individual offered me a what I though was a great deal.

& then he pm'd me & said "send me your address & it's yours".

I read that pm & closed it not really absorbing what it said.

About an hour later still at my keyboard, it dawned on me. So I re-read that pm & sure enough that's what it said.

Dumbfounded & Extremly Greatful. I replied & sure enough it came in the mail to my door.

As far as the action of this rod, well as already stated I'm no rod expert, but this rod.........

Gets plenty of Action
....I Love it & will never forget the very generous & kind person who Definately made this old Vets, I would say Day.

But the fact is every time I go fishing he makes my day. Thank you Dennis
djamtime likes this.

Last edited by roofish; 02-23-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 AM

flyfishingbum is on a distinguished road

I have a 9' 5 weight Avid - great rod for trout fishing in smaller rivers. It is definitely a mid-flexing rod. It handles an medium-sized indicator, bead head nymph, and small split shot nicely. A big indicator, large lead-weighted nymph, and big split shot is too much for it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

I like St. Croix rods and have an Imperial that's great for chucking streamers. I to am looking for a softer action for the creeks and streams in my area so... I just scored a new old stock 8' 3wt on ebay for 1/2 the price of a newer model - besides, I like the gray better than the green. A winner all around.

Jim
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have an Avid in 9ft 5wt. It is a bit slower than what I'm used to. I've had other Avids and struggled to make them work they way that I wanted (one being an 8ft 4wt.). But, on a trip last fall, I literally stopped in the middle of the stream and asked myself "What does this rod want from me to work for me effieciently?" I changed by casting stroke right there and it came into it's own.

The Avids are excellent rods at a great price point. Were I you, I'd get one and throw some line.