The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   St.Croix Avid Series (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/311602-st-croix-avid-series.html)

troutnut4 02-22-2013 01:51 PM

St.Croix Avid Series

With time on my hands I have been giving my search engine a workout. I came across an article in the latest "Midcurrent" gear newsletter on the newly introduced AVID series green trout rod by St.Croix. Does anyone have any light to shed on this rod. Looks interesting from a price point ($25 - $300). What do you think of it? Is it :thumbsupu or not? Base your opinion on fishing streams and rivers for small trout, say a 4 weight 8 ft. or 8'6" if you have tried one out.

comeonavs 02-22-2013 03:14 PM

Re: St.Croix Avid Series

I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it

plecain 02-22-2013 03:29 PM

I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?

troutnut4 02-22-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 529783)
I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it

You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.:smile:

comeonavs 02-22-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 529789)
You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.:smile:

Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...D42CC6C345.jpg

troutnut4 02-22-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 529791)
Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...D42CC6C345.jpg

In some circles that might be called a disease instead of an addiction. Wow, I love it. Congrats.:thumbsupu:thumbsupu:thumbsupu

fly_guy12955 02-22-2013 03:41 PM

I have a St Croix Imperial, 4wt, 9ft. It's what they call a fast action....well built rod,,but I am not fond of fast action rods. So, it sets home and I fish my Orvis med action Access or a Redington CT. I can't say about an Avid,,cept I'm sure it'll be well built. Action ? no clue.

troutnut4 02-22-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 529788)
I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?

The difference from the older versions (prefix AFT) to the newer version (A) is the color change from grey to green, which they think is now in fashion and I could be wrong, the rod is a little slower than the previous one. :D

stl_geoff 02-22-2013 07:41 PM

the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.

comeonavs 02-22-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 529866)
the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.

I definitely agree with you. It has been a few years since I sold the Avid but every time I think about fishing that rod I get misty eyed and nostalgic. I've often wonder if in my case absence makes the heart grow fonder but your comments reaffirm what I thought of that rod.

So.... Is it possible to fish one rod in each hand at the same time, because if so ill need an Avid back.:eek: