The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default St.Croix Avid Series

With time on my hands I have been giving my search engine a workout. I came across an article in the latest "Midcurrent" gear newsletter on the newly introduced AVID series green trout rod by St.Croix. Does anyone have any light to shed on this rod. Looks interesting from a price point ($25 - $300). What do you think of it? Is it or not? Base your opinion on fishing streams and rivers for small trout, say a 4 weight 8 ft. or 8'6" if you have tried one out.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: St.Croix Avid Series

I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I had the sub 8' 3wt and like a dummy I sold it. I really liked it and minus some fit and finish I put it in the real of my ZXL 376-4. It was a great little dry fly rod for small streams.

Wish I hadn't sold it
You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
You can always correct your mistake. There's more where that came form.
Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Oh trust me I would but I have added since I sold it a 1,3,4 wt TXL as well as the 3wt ZXL but My wife asked me to get birth control for my rod tubes...they magically reproduce in front of her eyes.

These are all 1,3,4 wt rods....one 6wt in there

Click the image to open in full size.
In some circles that might be called a disease instead of an addiction. Wow, I love it. Congrats.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have a St Croix Imperial, 4wt, 9ft. It's what they call a fast action....well built rod,,but I am not fond of fast action rods. So, it sets home and I fish my Orvis med action Access or a Redington CT. I can't say about an Avid,,cept I'm sure it'll be well built. Action ? no clue.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I have the 9' 4wt version.

I use it a lot for mid-sized trout. It casts well for what I'd call a 'moderate' rod. If you like a really fast rod, this isn't the one for you.

The original post said 'newly introduced'. Mine is a couple years old, but has the same part number as current Avids. Are they really any different now?
The difference from the older versions (prefix AFT) to the newer version (A) is the color change from grey to green, which they think is now in fashion and I could be wrong, the rod is a little slower than the previous one.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.
comeonavs likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
the Avid is a great rod, especially for the price. I like to think of it as a diamond in the rough. I have a 7' 3wt version and it casts every bit as nice as my more expensove sages.

If you can get a good deal on one you wouldnt be disappointed.
I definitely agree with you. It has been a few years since I sold the Avid but every time I think about fishing that rod I get misty eyed and nostalgic. I've often wonder if in my case absence makes the heart grow fonder but your comments reaffirm what I thought of that rod.

So.... Is it possible to fish one rod in each hand at the same time, because if so ill need an Avid back.