The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Diamondback Backwater

I received two Diamondback Backwater rods this past Christmas along with two SA system 2 reels. My uncle purchased the rods when I was young and saved them. They were completely unused and still in the plastic cork wrapping when he gave them to me. I have the 909-3 and the 906-3.

I was wondering what year this model was released. I know they are quite old and I have seen them as topics on sites as early as 2000, but I can't find an exact date. I would just love to know some most history about these rods and know exactly how old they were and what people think about them. It seems that the 909 gained quite a reputation in the striper fishing community. Would appreciate any background anyone could offer. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diamondback Backwater

Nick, I can't give you a year but Cortland (the company that acquired Diamondback) customer service could. I miss the Diamondback company, originally from VT, which made stout well built and designed rods. I have a few from their "Stu Apte" signature series that I still fish especially in the salt. Short story: About 8 years ago, two friends and I trailerd a skiff to Islamorada during a full moon. Turns out the tarpon were feeding like crazy...but at night. Using the "electric pushpool" we fished out going tidal currents where tarpon were visibly gorging on iridescent orange shrimp. We might have 30 hook up a night ranging from 30 to 100+ pounds. Three guys in a 17' boat, at night, sometimes with two fish on at the same time...we broke five #12 rods and one #14. At the end of the week three rods were left unscathed; a one-piece J.Kennedy Fisher lent to us by Bonefish Bob, a Sage Xi2 and my Diamondback Stu Apte #12/13. Exploded Korean rods littered our rental cottage.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-23-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember when Cortland bought Diamondback, but I do remember that they closed the Vermont facility and moved production overseas around the end of 2006..... before driving the Diamondback line completely into the ground

I remember Cortland having a big "fire-sale" on their web-site.
It was quality stuff and it went fast.
Your rods could well be close-outs from that time.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info guys. Incredible story sweetandsalt.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM

flying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura about

I got my 908-3 Backwater in 1996 for $225. From what I remember at the time it was a fairly new model. It is a very stiff rod. It can launch a lot of line but it was too much work for me and I went back to my 6wt GL3.

My rod originally came with the black guides. The line started to saw notches in the tip eye. They replaced it for me with a rod they built with chrome guides.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Interesting. Both of mine have chrome guides and I've never had a problem with them. It is a very stiff rod though, each ferrule is noticeable thicker than ordinary.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Diamondbacks were "old school". They employed fiberglass not carbon scrim, medium modulus graphite, relatively large diameter, thick walled construction. A little heavier but a lot stronger. Sometimes I use automotive annologies to "classify" rod designs and will talk about super high performance but fragile "sport car" rods and comfortable, less demanding "sedan" rods. Well, Diamondback's are a 1st rate "truck" rod and I sure do miss them. A rough equivilant in today's rods from #6 - 12 are Albright's XX series. More modern technology but truck rods none-the-less.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM

You can definitely feel the "truck" on the 9wt. Think and heavy but you can feel the strength.