The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mista_bob
  • 1 Post By fishstick91
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cabela's Deal or No Deal

This seems like a real deal to me for $149:

Cabelas RLS+ Fly Combo

Unless I'm missing something, the reel alone normally sells for $125-140.

Does anyone have any experience with this rod or reel?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Cabela's Deal or No Deal

I think its a sweet deal. Heck if the rod turned out to be crappy, Cabelas will take it back no problem. If its only a decent rod then you get a nice reel for an upgrade later. Either way 149 to your door ready for a leader is pretty good, given the great warranty and return policies they offer.
It would be nice if there were more reviews. And what the action was like. That 4wt 8foot 6 looks nice. If I didn't already have two 4wts, ahh... you know
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I don't own 1 to give you any 1st hand knowledge. It is definately a good looking combo & half it's original price, so seems like a very good deal.
You might try calling a couple of different Cabelas & asking who ever's in the fly shop they're oppinion, could help your decision if no one here knows.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I ordered one (the 8wt).

As some have said, if I don't like it I can send it back.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

You may be interested in a short, older thread on the RLS reel.
Cabelas RLS fly reel
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I have the RLS reel in a 9/10 and it's an excellent reel.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Cabela's Deal or No Deal

I had the regular RLS combo for a day. Felt good casting first time out... for about 5 minutes, then the last section snapped in half randomly. Didn't even get to catch a fish on it. Took it back and got something else. Granted that was a 5 wt original RLS combo, not the RLS+ which just came out. Their return policy is good though. The reel is decent, not great, but maybe I'm a little biased.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road

I have a couple RLS reels. They have good enough quality to depend on and are at a price point that I'm not afraid to take them where they might get scratched up. I think this is an important niche. I'm glad for the heads up to stay away from the brittle rods
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

They are running a two-day-only sale on the RLS+ reel (without the rod) today and tomorrow only, if anyone's interested. $80 while supplies last. Also TFO Pro rods for $70 and Cabela's Stowaway rods for $100, among other things.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I have the original RLS reel. It is a tad heavy, but bulletproof. I've never had to anywhere near max out the drag on carp or 20" san juan trout, and it has served me very well. I have a Ross CLA as well and quite frankly like the RLS better. There is more metal on the RLS, I like the drag adjustments, the oversized knob, etc..... The Ross had more high range drag, but not by much, and I'll never need that much drag. I have beaten and abused the thing and it runs like a champ.

Only one warning- if you get it, realize that its not sealed and don't set it down in sand. If you do its not that big a deal- you just have to take the spool off and wash everything out really good. If you don't you will feel the grit inside the reel and it might momentarily seize up.