The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: sage vt2 vs st croix legend ultra(8wt)

Hi MTskibum,

If you can buy an Ultra for $200 that seems like a good deal to me and I would jump on it. If you have not casted an 8wt before you will probably like the Pro better than the Ultra. The Pro is a slow action rod and most beginners like it. It is not a pretty rod but very functional. I think it is a better rod in a 5wt. If you are interest in just distance then the TiCr will out cast the Ultra and Pro but you may not like the stiffness. All things considered, I think you will be more satisfied with the Ultra, especially for $200.

Frank
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM

derekw68 is on a distinguished road

hello all, thanks for all the help. My new ultra just arrived. So far I like it. I will try it out on the water after work today. Thanks again derek
Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi MTskibum,

If you can buy an Ultra for $200 that seems like a good deal to me and I would jump on it. If you have not casted an 8wt before you will probably like the Pro better than the Ultra. The Pro is a slow action rod and most beginners like it. It is not a pretty rod but very functional. I think it is a better rod in a 5wt. If you are interest in just distance then the TiCr will out cast the Ultra and Pro but you may not like the stiffness. All things considered, I think you will be more satisfied with the Ultra, especially for $200.

Frank
I went into buy the s crouix ultra, and when the guy was packaging it up for me he broke the tip off. So the options were he would knock 30 bucks off and i could mail it in, because if he would of mailed it in he would of gotten this years model back, so then i wouldnt of been able to get the good deal, or he would knock the TiCrx 8wt down to 200 dollars.
I decided on the TiCrx, I realize its going to be more of a learning curve how to cast it, but i dont mind, i packaged it with the Cortland Endurance reel.

I went fishing on the gallitan with it yesterday in 10-20 mph winds, and it got the job done. I was able to brute force the fly in the general vicinity of where i wanted it to go. I am going to go out later today and it is windy again, so i will bring my new toy out again and give it a try.

However i might not of gotten heavy enough line. Pretty sure i messed up my line purchase. I got WF 8wt floating "mainstream", I might either get a 9 weight sinking tip line next weekend, or SA headstart 8 weigth sinking tip.

Which would you guys recomend?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The sink tip lines, while casting differently, should not actually be any heavier than the Rio Mainstream line you've got.

Dude, that rod is a broomstick, period. I am a 5'10" 240 lb guy only 6 years out from playing NCAA football, and I have to really horse that rod to make it work. You'll need to learn to double haul powerfully and well to really get its full potential out. The guy who sold it to you ought to be willing to help out with this.

Either that or you can overline it with a 9wt and be slinging that much more line around all day. Good luck with your chosen route.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.