The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM

derekw68 is on a distinguished road
Default sage vt2 vs st croix legend ultra(8wt)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the sage vt2. The local fly shop carries sage. The sage rep lives here, so the said it easier for them with the rep local. I am thinking more along the line of the st croix. any input would be helpful. thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sage vt2 vs st croix legend ultra(8wt)

D: what are you fishing for ? and where?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM

i am fishing in saltwater, mainly redfish. I am in SC, Hilton head. I also go to clearwater,fl monthly and fish in the ICW.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I have the St Croix. I love the new IPC technology. The rod is very fast. In fact when I first got it I thought it was too stiff, but somehow the rod loads rather easily. I can't say, however, the rod has a lot of feel. It's a real cannon and is great in the wind.

From what I read, the Sage is slower and better for more delicate presentations; so it seems the rods are quite different. I would suggest casting them.

Randy Kadish
Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 AM

I have casted them outside the store, but I always get a different feel when in the water. I think I am going with the st croix. I have found no reviews or"field testing, on the water" of the sage vt2. Thanks for the replies. I am currenly using a tfo ticrx and the st croix feels better.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi derekw68,

You will like the Ultra. I can understand why you like the Ultra better than the TiCr X. The TiCr X is a very stiff rod and the TFO TiCr would be a better choice for most casters. The TFO rods lack the feel of the smoother casting rods like the Ultra but they are one of the best lower cost rods for distance. You never said what weight rod you are wanting. I assume it is an 8wt. You will like your choice of the Ultra.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Yes I am wanting an 8wt to replace the TFO. I also have a 5wt ticrx and I really like it. The 8wt is like you said, hard to feel. I have also found out that my line is in bad condition. By luck I caught a tarpon this summer on the 8wt and since then casting changed, badly. It was only 30lbs. I inspected the line and needless to say new line is on the way. I also ordered the st croix. thanks for all input and help.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekw68 View Post
i am fishing in saltwater, mainly redfish. I am in SC, Hilton head. I also go to clearwater,fl monthly and fish in the ICW.
D:
your sage model has a price point of $410. at that price for a saltwater 8wt...I would look to the used market 8 wt Sage XP, 8wt Winston Biix, Sage Xii, Loomis GLX, GLX crossC...try also some of the older high models that came in 3 piece or 2 piece if you don't need 4 piece...I carry on three piece...these older models particularly loomis and sage can be significantly discounted...IMHO if you are a salt then get an 8 wt with guts in the butt and fast...you will learn to cast it and while learning overline it to 9 to get the feel of a load then gradually shift to an 8...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I am looking at the Legend Ultra 8 wt as well right now.
There is one for sell down at the local store for 200 dollars, would i be alot happier with this rod than a TFO pro, or a different 200 dollar rod? I wont be using it except when i am streamer fishing(which is most of the time) and have some wind to deal with. My 6 weight just doesnt cutting it throwing heavy streamers in the wind.

Disclaimer:
I have never casted an 8 weight, and i probably wont be able to before i would have to make a decision on whether to buy this rod.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm generally a TFO fan, but I would definitely buy a Legend Ultra before a TFO Pro if I was after a 9' 8wt, Also would take it over a TiCR X. I would want to cast a TiCR and the Ultra side by side.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.